Older MBP Probs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by plasmodiocarp, Oct 1, 2010.

1. plasmodiocarp macrumors newbie

I have a MBP purchased in late 2006 so it's fairly old.

Lately I've been having really random lock ups and freezing maybe once every week or so. Sometimes when I hard reset it, there's a few horizontal lines across the screen, usually just on the background. It'll go away if I restart it again.

I used the onboard disk checker and no problems are detected. Is this a sign that the hardware will fail soon?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I have a 1st Gen MBP with the original Core Duo but I suspect yours is the Core2Duo one but otherwise largely the same machine. These early ones ran very hot although the C2D version you have was supposed to be better and run cooler. Anyway, my first thought would be it is overheating so you might consider installing FanControl which I did on mine since mine was blisteringly hot in its original form. The other thing to do is to install iStat Pro dashboard widget and monitor the temps of the processor - my CPU is running at 69C at the moment and GPU is at 57. These are the two temps I would be most concerned with.

Lastly, given the age it wouldn't be surprising for the HD to be on its way out - mine died more than a year ago so probably worth replacing yours anyway just to get the extra capacity and speed of a modern drive.

4. plasmodiocarp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try and run the system checker when I get home.

Mine is actually the CD not the C2D. Like yours, it always ran hot and I used to game on it which made it even more hot. For the past couple of years though, this one has been left at home and used just for internet and word processing and I have air conditioning and always have been using one of those laptop cooling stands. This problem only came up recently. I hope it's just the HD and not the logicboard or something. I will post back when I do the checker.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

When you see the horizontal lines, try taking a screen shot. Reboot until you don't have the horizontal lines and take a look at the screen shot you took. See if the lines appear on your screen shots.

I've seen one or two of those early MBPs with faulty X1600 graphics... Those things were HOT.

6. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Definitely worth installing Fan Control then - the section of case above the F10 key on mine gets impossibly hot without it but with it I can comfortably sit with it on my lap without any extra cooling. Highly recommended since it will ensure you're not overheating your CPU/GPU. It may be necessary for you to replace the thermal paste to help cooling but I would try Fan Control first and see how the temps go.

7. plasmodiocarp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ran the extended diagnostic with no problems found.

I remember when I first got this thing people suggested the fan control and replacing the thermal paste. Both options had their opposition, some people argued that setting the fan to run more and faster will just wear the fan out. Anyone actually try replacing the paste? Some people said it wouldn't help but I never followed up on looking for results. At the time I didn't want to mess with anything since it was still under warranty.

I'll be sure to take a screen capture when it happens again.

8. plasmodiocarp thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

So here it is. Lines always appear in the same spot. This time I came to my computer stuck on sleep and warm but not as hot as when I used to play WoW on it which is what I don't understand. If this is a heat issue, the temps have gotten much hotter when I gamed on it but it ran fine with no hiccups.

I'm seriously thinking of opening it up to replace the thermal paste.