Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Hi,

The other day I had to make a short 4 minute video slideshow of a bunch of old photographs. I did not want to spend much time with it so I used imovie 08. It was easy and took very little time.

I created the video using the imac at work. This is a 2.4 GHz, 24" aluminum imac with 2 GB of ram.

I decided to export the video to quicktime using the default settings. iMovie estimated that the process would take 206 minutes but it ended up taking just over 2 hours.

It seemed to me that it took too much time to export a 4 minute video with no audio, so I copied the imovie project to my MBP (see specs in my signature). My MBP´s estimated time for exporting the same video was just 22 minutes.

It was the same project, using imovies default settings for quicktime export (checked to make sure) and using the same version of imovie 08. The imac even has by far, more available hdd space than my MBP. The only difference between the two is that the MBP is running Leopard while the imac is running Tiger (10.4.11)

To add insult to injury, the imac was only running imovie, while my mac had mail, safari, dreamweaver and indesign open. I use both macs on a daily basis and although i dont see a difference in performance on my adobe CS3 apps, I do however feel leopard faster than tiger.

Is my MBP really faster or is there something funny with the imac?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
On any intel mac, it is not normal to take 2 hours to encode a 4 minute video, even if it's 1080p.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
that doesnt seem right, im guessing that there would have been something runing in the background.

open activity monitor and check the CPU usage and make sure nothing is runing the the background..

i would do another test of the same video and see what the results are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.