Older model Mac mini $349 @ Micro center

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by hndn, Jun 16, 2009.

1. hndn macrumors regular

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

3. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Yeah, that's a great deal...

I wish there was a Micro Center near me, I would buy it right now as a birthday gift for myself!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's good deal. Old Mini is very capable computer for light use, most people underrate it, even Apple fans. It's perfect for media center, secondary computer or kids first computer

5. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

I hesitate because it's expandable to 2gb only. How big can the HDD be expand to?

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Sounds like you are getting close in price to a refurb that will already come with a larger HD and DVD burner etc.
    Unless money is tight, I'd watch for a new refurb with a better 'video card'

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think its 3.3GB(you need to put in 2x2GB, but you only get 3.3GB usable)

8. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

9. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Good catch, I misread it: no DVD burner, but still tempted :)
    Thanks Nukemkb.

10. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I just almost bought on on eBay for $320 shipped, same model, just gotta hunt around! But that is a good deal. Ive been sitting here for a couple of hours trying to justify the *need* for another Mini, I'm yet to come up with one. =(

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Dedicated file server. Dedicated security/webcam machine. Dedicated backup machine. Piece of art to go on a shelf. :p

12. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    My cousin wants to get a mac mini and asked me for advice. Seems I can suggest a few options:
    - for $549 w/ education discount, a new bottom of the line Mac Mini (2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/120GB/1GB memory/120GB hard drive/8x double-layer SuperDrive/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics (not sure how much better the $799 model is)

- wait for a refurbished 2009 Mac Mini to show up - guessing price is $500?

- go for a previous generation one on craigslist (my guess is that he could get for under $300 from someone who bought late last year and still have a 6 month+ warranty)

- Go for current generation 2009 Mac Mini from someone who bought a few months ago and selling for whatever reason. Est price.. sub $400?

Any thoughts?

I myself bought a 1.83ghz C2d Mac Mini from the previous generation off of craigslist earlier this year and paid $375 for it. The unit I bought had upgraded 2.5gb RAM and an upgraded 200gb 7200 rpm HDD. I wish it had the orig HD though because I don't really need the space and the newer HD makes the unit loud as hell (the seller kept telling me he'd send over the orig HD but still hasn't). The original owner broke the airport/bluetooth card though (which applecare won't cover) so I'm just using ethernet - which isn't a big deal.

13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

You just underrated it yourself. It's perfect even as your main, primary, only computer. I've been on Mac mini since the G4 and currently on a Core 2 Duo. When I upgrade, it's going to be yet another Mac mini.

Until Diablo III or Starcraft II, however, I don't need to upgrade...

14. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My Mac Mini (this model) is just to tide me over 'till I get a Mac Pro. :D
    I bought mine new off eBay with the Live.com discount for about this price.

15. BPresley321 macrumors regular

I bought one from the microcenter in Dallas a few weeks ago...but paid a bit more.

I say go for it!

16. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I wouldn't mind one of those at all. It's a good lil deal, not to mention, still a very capable computer.

17. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to be able to burn DVD but this model doesn't include the drive. Any suggestion on accessories?
    Thanks all.

18. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I've plugged three different burners into my G4 mini and all have worked well.

So I think you're probably safe, even if you build one out of an internal drive and an external USB to IDE chassis.

19. three macrumors 6502a

three

Great deal, I'd get it. Don't expect to do anything special graphics wise, the GMA 950 suckkkkksss.