Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I'd get a G4 eMac or a mini+CRT screen.

I think it's best to stay away from lcd screens, older people like to set the resolution lower because it is easier to read if the type is bigger. Unfortunately, if you set a lcd to non native resolution it becomes blurry and even harder to read. This isn't a problem with CRT screens.

netherfred

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2004
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Here in the Netherlands your best option would be an eMac 800 512/60Gb SD for around €250. These have videocards that can run 10.4 smoothly (Geforce MX2 or better) and even superdrives, so you can burn DVDs. Another possibility would be the Powermac G4 QS (800/867) series with similar specs for also around €210-270, considering you'd have to buy a separate monitor of course. My experience with eMacs is that they make a lot of noise (maybe not an issue for an elderly person?!) and of course the all-in-one is a problem if something breaks down. Get a G4 and a CRT for a couple of 10s of € and your good to go! Try the (originally dutch) website http://uk.secondhandmac.com/
There are not so many offers on the UK version, but a lot on the dutch counterpart.

Good luck!

P.S. G3 iMacs are given away free, so don't pay (too much) for one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.