Older Samsung TV with Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bbednarz, Feb 28, 2018.

1. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

This question isn't totally geared towards Apple TV, but it plays a role in the issue I am having.

I was given a tv for free from someone at work. The picture had gone out on them when using HDMI. I figured I would take it home and see if there was anything I could do to salvage it. To my surprise when I connected my Apple TV it works perfectly, no issues whatsoever. When I plug in my DirecTV box or computer (same HDMI cable and input) I get green static.

The tv is linked here:
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2010-led-tv-c8000-series

Yes, its an older TV. I guess when it came out it was pretty high end. Just wondering if there is something that is causing this to work with the Apple TV, but seemingly nothing else.

2. cyberlocke macrumors regular

cyberlocke

I'm assuming you're using the same cable and TV input for the Direc TV and computer as you did with the AppleTV?

3. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

WOW That's a damn nice TV.
    Is it anything to do with the high quality settings that the ATV offers? That's all I can think of.
    I'd be delighted as of now, Apple TV is all that we use in my house. The poor 4K UHD BluRay player bought for the occasional DVD/box set has gone into retirement! :) It's not been used since December - and I bought it at the end of November :) :) :)

4. bbednarz57 macrumors member

bbednarz57

Yes, everything is the same. I take the HDMI cable out of the Apple TV and plug it into the DirecTV box and I get a total green distortion. 90% of my TV watching comes from the Apple TV and this is just a spare to have, but I am just wondering if there is some rhyme or reason why this is.

5. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

This may or not be related, but I have a wireless HDMI system that I could never get to work with either my DirecTV system or my TiVo, and my plasma sets. Just for giggles I tried it with my ATV and it works fine. Same TVs, cables, etc. All I could get was a green screen. Weird.

6. HobeSoundDarryl, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Guesses:
    • Apple could be producing a highly optimized signal that isn’t asking the TV to do as much with it (more optimized than the other stuff). It may be a coincidence that it just happens to yield a picture while the non-Apple hardware does not (meaning that if you have 100 video components and tried each one, probably some non-Apple ones would work as well).
    • Doesn't :apple:TV first try to connect with a lowest res signal? Maybe 720p or even SD? Then, after establishing the connection, it tries to switch to a higher (native) res? I wonder if this TV is able to accept & display the lower res signal... or maybe that approach establishes the connection so a buggy TV is then able to manage the subsequent switch to a higher res? Check the res of the :apple:TV connection when you have a picture. Is it full? Or low? A possible experiment: hook one of the other devices up to a good TV. Set their output settings to lowest resolution. Then, try them with that TV. Still fail?
    • Have you tried resetting the TV to factory settings? Maybe user tweaks are overtaxing it when select equip is attached?