older software to new mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smilingalways, Jan 13, 2009.

1. smilingalways macrumors newbie

Is it possible to make older software, about 1997, work on my new mac X? When I try to install it says it is no longer supported, Also if software doesn't automaticlly install, is there a back door way?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What kind of new Mac do you have?

If it is intel, the only way is through a program called SheepShaver

3. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Yep. SheepShaver is your best bet on an intel machine. I used to run it on BeOS back in the days and it worked quite well.

What's the app you want to run? Can't find a similar one for OS X?

4. smilingalways thread starter macrumors newbie

The Mac is new and I am new to it, It is OS 10.5.6, if it is an Intel, I am not sure how to find that out. I have lots of kid ed games that have not been out grown just yet.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then SheepShaver is your only option, although I have no idea how to use it.

6. rainydays macrumors 6502a

There's a good tutorial for getting SheepShaver running. Just google for it (it contains links to illegal software so I won't link to it here).

Basically, you need the ROM-image from an old mac and the OS.

You can use OS 7.5.5 legally since apple gives it away for free. But downloading a newer version will be illegal if you don't have a license for it (not that anyone will care).
    All of the available ROM-images aren't legal either, but I forget which ones. Then again, I don't think anyone will care if you download an illegaly distributed ROM-image, it's not like Apple is making any money off them.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i can teach yu sheepsaver, though it will take some tinkering is it really THAT important??