Older version of 10.6 install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vbagley, Apr 13, 2011.

1. vbagley macrumors newbie

I plead ignorance amongst you experts and call me extremely cautious, too! I have to install an older version of 10.6 to my iMac, which is now running 10.6.7. The version I'm supposed to be running is 10.6.3. I use Carbonite, NOT Time Machine. So I know I will have to start with the disk that came with my mac. Am I going to regret this? Will it wipe all my Adobe Apps and files, etc.? I also have to use an older version of Safari! Is there a safe way to do this without having to reinstall every durn app and file? Carbonite is NOT backing up system files either. Will a reinstall wipe screensavers, etc.? PLEASE HELP!

Thank you! Any advise is greatly appreciated. Also, if this subject is already out here, I'm sorry but I couldn't find it!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If I understand you correctly, you just need to roll back from 10.6.7 to 10.6.3 (which I assume you have on disk). Assuming that's correct, then you don't have to worry about anything unless you erase and install. Just pop the disk in the drive and run the install normally, and none of your files will be erased, and all of your software will continue to work, assuming it's compatible with 10.6.3 (which I'd be amazed if it wasn't). You would have to very explicitly command the computer to erase the drive to lose anything.

jW

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Just do an "Archive and Install", which will preserve all of your files and settings.

4. vbagley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much!

I hoped some body would have the answer! Thank you, Mal and Dave. :)

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Could you please explain why your are "supposed to be running" MacOS X 10.6.3?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, Dave. You can't do that, Dave. (Sorry, couldn't resist. :D)

Archive and Install was removed as an option in 10.6, but the standard install procedure does most of the same process. Doesn't preserve the old System folder any more, but it deletes it and installs a completely fresh OS, instead of just replacing the components that it installs.

jW

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Will it allow you to do this with an older system than what exists, though?

I too am curious as to why you need to run 10.6.3...

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Thanks, I didn't know that. So does the standard install preserve your settings, or are Apple assuming a Time Machine backup to restore from?