Older version of iLife delivered with new macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jazzman25, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Jazzman25 macrumors member

Hi,

I am thoroughly enjoying my evening playing with my new Macbook bought today in an Apple reseller shop south of Brussels. What a beauty...:)

One annoying thing, the iLife version on the machine is 08. I wanted to have my machine right away which is why I went to a shop, but the risk obviously is to fall on a box in stock, manufactured before the new version was released. I saw the free upgrade offer from Apple, but it is only valid in the US. Any idea what are my possibility in Europe?

2. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I would request the upgrade and if they say no try to return it and buy one with 09 preinstalled

3. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

Look more closely at the disks included in the box. There should be a disc that will upgrade you to '09.

You probably got a box that was in transition, meaning it was in the store before '09 was released, but sold after. Usually these boxes contain an upgrade disc.

4. Jazzman25 thread starter macrumors member

Requesting it seems to be the only option...
    returning the macbook is not an option. This is Europe - the land of zero customer service...I guess this is also the reason Apple does not bother to do a similar free upgrade program over here...:mad:

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The up-to-date isn't US only.

Googling iLife up to date Belgium brings up the following

iLife Up to Date from UK Apple site which specifically says that it applies to Belgium (and pretty much all of Europe too) - not sure if you can do it through the UK page or whether you need to find the iLife up to date on the Belgian site.

6. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

I didn't read closely enough to see that you bought it at an Apple reseller. Good luck, then, because I don't know what policies they have regarding software releases. Hopefully iLife Up to Date will work for you.

7. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

^^^^^^^^^^^ thats sounds like your best bet (what applespider said)

8. Jazzman25 thread starter macrumors member

Did check the Apple Belgium site and nothing there, but will try that UK link. Thanks for that!

9. Jazzman25 thread starter macrumors member

It worked! Thanks a lot Applespider! Just had to go to the Belgian site, get to the main iLife page and than add the uptodate manually to the URL. from there straightforward order process for 8.95 Euros. Great!

The only interesting point is that unless I missed something that page is not linked from the main iLife page or from the apple store. if you click on "upgrade" in the iLife page you get to the page in the store enabling you to buy Ilife 09 for the full 80 Euros...

A bit of a hidden promo, but at least it is there!

10. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Request an upgrade. Apple said if you purchase one after a certain day... you can get one for $10. Apple should already have iLife '09 in the box by now though. Look inside.

never mind. it's done.

11. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

True , true

12. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

You're protected well in Europe. If you buy a new MacBook without it then you have every right to return it within a certain period. You should ask nicely if they'll send you the disks but if they don't then demand it. If they don't then tell them that you will return the machine under distance selling laws.