Older version of Preview for Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Slrman, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Slrman macrumors member

Slrman

I have upgraded to 10.6.1 and am generally very pleased. The installation was flawless, including the update to 10.6.1.

My one complaint is that Preview has lost some functionality. The range of color adjustments I had in 10.5.8 were so good I normally didn't need to use GIMP or other photo editing program. Specifically, I could adjust the white and black levels as well as brightness and contrast. In Snow Leopard, they seem to have eliminated those two controls.

Is it possible to somehow install the old version of Preview in SL? I have the original 10.5 CD, but haven't been able to find a way to only install Preview.

Thanks for any tips. Apple, are you listening? ;)

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Pacifist may let you install the older version by inserting your 10.5 disc. I've never tried installing an older version from the disc, so I wonder if it will work. Let us know.

3. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

Thanks for the tip. I've DL Pacifist (Thanks for the link, very thoughtful) and will try it in a couple of hours.

4. Slrman thread starter macrumors member

Slrman

I just found out this:

All those controls are still there. To adjust the white and black levels drag the controls under the histogram – just like in Photoshop.

So I don't have to worry about installing an older version. Thanks anyway for the tip. :D