Older versions of Apps on App store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kirsch92, Nov 2, 2014.

1. kirsch92 macrumors member

I currently have a 2008 iMac running Yosemite at home. I'm considering purchasing a used Macbook, mainly for writing.

Since I don't need anything blistering fast, and cheap is my middle name, I thought something pre 2008 that can run snow leopard might be just the ticket.

If I bought an App (such as Pages) from the app store on my iMac when it was running Mountain Lion or Mavericks, will an older version compatible with Snow Leopard be available for me to download from the app store for free if I sign in with the same Apple ID?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

iWork '09 will work fine on Snow Leopard. The catch: it's a standalone disk you'll have to purchase separately and not on the app store.

3. kirsch92 thread starter macrumors member

I may have to spend a little more money I think. Might be best in the long run.

However, I was reading up on "previous versions" for the app store. Does anyone have experience with this? Does it actually exist yet?
    It sounds like something you would only see show up on the app store if you actually had the older computer already.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

iWork '09 can still be purchased from reputable sellers on eBay. I recently purchased the DVD for $10 on eBay. (Although I heavily use iWork '09, I didn't have any physical media for it since it came preloaded on my MBP years ago)