Older white A1016 keyboard cleaning.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ab Ovo, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ab Ovo macrumors newbie

Ab Ovo

NYC, NY 10014 Eastern Long Island 11937 USA
    Anyone ever taken apart an A1016 wireless keyboard?
    The letter-keys "a" and "z" on my A1016 wouldn't type. I keep a clean keyboard, occasionally brush all keys horizontally and vertically with a (new, never used but for this purpose) paintbrush. Then use the brush attachment on the vacuum to suck out what it can. Sometimes use the vacuum in exhaust to blow warm air into board. Did this. Didn't help. Then read about popping off the keys, a & z, and was rather surprised to see, yes, dirt and a few hairs. Swabbed the area with Q-tips, got all clean. I know you can do this, pop keys (keep a board handy or keyboard screen capture to know where to put keys back on), just pry off with a flat blade, clean to your heart's content, replace keys. This I did. Still no a & z. After saying **** several times, I set keyboard outside in strong sun. I thought maybe something would expand in heat. (No way could there be moisture inside, I am too neat, but what the ****, it was worth a shot.) After a few hours I got a & z back! Overnight, had some trouble the next morning, set board in sun, typed on it in a better position and all was, has been, well. Ok -- after "cleaning' my board, in strong sun I noticed a bit of dust in the clear sides and bottom. Well, this will be easy, I'll just undo the three tiny screws holding the lucite caseing. I've every screwdriver imaginable, but not this tiny one! None of mine will fit. Am working on this, for the A1016 is something built, put together, has screws for a reason, so there must be a way to get the board out of the lucite housing. Just undo a few simple screws, clean the caseing. Has anyone done this? Is there a "special" Apple tool? I'm working on getting the proper driver.

When fussing I've no a & z to friends it was suggested I get one of those Radio Shack cans of compressed air, use the long red thin tube and blast away. That might "clean" the bottom of the unit a bit. As well, something I am going to do when the chance comes up, ask at the local Mac store how they take a keyboard apart. I think they've a special screwdriver. Anything built can be taken apart. If you can get the lucite away from the board, that bottom housing can be cleaned. Anyone ever done this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The screw driver you need is a Torx bit. I think it's sized 10, 8, or 6. Radio Shack has a nice thing for about $15 that has the needed Torx bits and a few others with it. A total of ten bits. Don't know if Radio Shack still sells it. All the bits fit into the handle and it's about the size of a banana, but grey/silver.

3. magilla, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

magilla macrumors regular

Yes - did the same thing on my old, clear Apple Pro Extended Keyboard. Used a product from a company called Miller/Stephenson. Product is called Contact Re-Nu (MS-230) or, alternately their contact Re-Nu & Lube (MS-238). do Google search for suppliers. Aerosol spray cans. Works wonders on old electro-mechanical keyboards and other electronics equipment.

Had the same type of thing (screw/screwdriver) with the clear Apple Pro Extended Keyboard (M7803). Tried every Torx bit/Allen wrench I had but to no avail. Finally grabbed my old, cheap jeweler's screwdriver set with straight blades and found one that fit diagonally in the screw slot perfectly. Works great. Set it aside just for this purpose. Think I got the jeweler's screwdriver set from HomeDepot or Lowes in their "tools" department. about $7.

4. kant macrumors 6502

Contact cleaner.

You don't need name brand. It's designed to evaporate and leave no residue behind to short circuit anything.

5. Ab Ovo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ab Ovo

NYC, NY 10014 Eastern Long Island 11937 USA
    Thanks all! Learning experience here: the Torx I had on hand, as well as the two jeweler's screwdriver all seemed too big for the head. That was the problem. Thanks for the aid!