Older, worse Mac running smoother than newer one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brush Guy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Brush Guy macrumors newbie

So my mum uses a 2009 15" 2.4ghz 2 Core Duo MPB with 2 GBs RAM. I use a 2010 13" 2.4ghz 2 Core Duo with 4 GBs RAM. Her laptop runs silky smooth on Lion, opening apps faster, even the graphics such as minimizing a window or moving to launchpad are more slick, while mine feels sluggish. Its frustrating the hell out of me! I have two partitions, one SL and one Lion, and both are slower than my mum's, even though she has 2GBs RAM! Any suggestions?

2. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

How full is your hard drive?.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

4. Brush Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

About 70 gigs on both partitions.
    I've tried all the tricks to try and get my Mac running faster but none have really worked.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What did Activity Monitor show? How about paging?

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the 15" has a NVIDIA 9400m and 9600m GT (someone check my data, got it from mactracker) for it's GPUs.

your 13" has a NVIDIA 320M GPU.

I think the combination of the two, since they switch and the 9600m GT has 512 MB of shared GDDR RAM, whereas your 320m only has 256 MB could be a factor in the speed difference.

7. Brush Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, haven't heard of paging; in Activity monitor it shows me as having more RAM free, I assume its the GPU then.. Thanks!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you haven't heard of paging, you didn't read the performance tips I posted. It's number 6 on the list. Also, number 5 relates to my last question.

9. Brush Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry on my phone and by this stage I assume, after scouring the Internet for months I had seen every one of those articles.