Olderish photo paper still ok?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by H2Ockey, Dec 21, 2010.

1. H2Ockey macrumors regular

So I've been printing "off site" for the last few years, but X-mas came a little early and finally got a new printer that works with a mac (stoopid old HP and their non-updating drivers for otherwise perfectly usable printers that just happen to be a little old but not really any different than their new ones).

Anyway, I have an absolute mess of photo paper purchased some years ago, probably at Costco guessing by the amount. All are probably 6-8 years old, 4x6 and 8.5x11 Kodak inkjet photo paper. High Gloss, glossy, and matte paper. The new printer is an Epson Artisan 835.

I don't really have any reason to believe the paper is "bad" but just wondering if there is something I don't know and there is a reason I won't be happy with this 'older' paper.

Am I ok?

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I assumed you meant paper for B/W printing.

Alas.

3. H2Ockey thread starter macrumors regular

LoL that is why I said olderISH.

I know it seems like a silly question, but 8 years ago home photo printing vs where it is now? I'm unsure has there been some development (no pun intended) in the process?
    As I hinted at I assume the only issue with my older HP printers is simply drivers since there are new printers using the exact same ink and I assume the same process but I just don't know.
    I assume there should be no reason this stock of paper is not fully usable and good. I just wanted to know if maybe there is something I don't know, ya know?

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If you store the paper in a cool place and protect it from light, it should be OK. It's more important for your chemicals to be fresh. developer more than a week old should be remixed...:) j/k...

The inkjet paper you refer to should be OK. Paper coatings have gotten better over the years but it's still more important for your inks to be used regularly. The nozzles will dry up. Pick a photo and give it a run.

Dale