Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
krimson said:
the oldest (and last known) Civil War widow died over the weekend..
My mom told me about that one. It's an amazing story too. She (the last civil war widow, not my mom) married an 81-year-old Confederate army vet when she was 21. And when he died, she married his grandson!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
The "official" oldest person, Romona Trinidad Iglesias-Jordan, 114 years and 272 days old, died Saturday. Guinness had officially recognized Charlotte Benkner (see above) but later discovered that Iglesias-Jordan was in fact older, born 10 weeks earlier, on August 31, 1889, the same year that the Eiffel Tower was completed.

Both Iglesias-Jordan and Benkner were the eldest of 11 children, had married, but had no children. Take heed: Anybody who wants to live to be 114 should arrange to have 10 younger sibilngs! On the other hand, Iglesias attributed her longevity to always cooking with pork fat, so maybe that's worth a try.

Here is her picture. Not bad for a 114 years.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/3367756/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150006012004

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's a new angle on this old thread of ours.

Virginia Muise was only the 31st oldest person (but the oldest in New England) when she died a week ago, but she was undoubtably the longest-lived Red Sox fan. She was rooting for them when they won the World Series in 1918 and was still a fan when they won it again this year.

She was born in 1893, saw Titanic survivors getting off rescue boats in 1912 as a teen, moved to Boston in 1923. She was born before the invention of radio broadcasts or airplanes! And she always kept a Red Sox cap on her nightstand.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Keeping Score

To me it is not so much of amazement how old someone is or how long he or she lived. It's what they have seen and what went on around the world during their lives.

People were born the same year the Eiffel Tower was erected. A year before Vincent Van Gogh died. Others saw the tail end of the pony express, and then telegrams, phones, faxes, and emails. The year Geronimo died.

People saw the first cars and planes, then rockets and space shuttles, the moon landings, space walks, movie pictures,

Open heart surgery, test tube babies and organ transplants.

Bigotry and racism being questioned and challenged on a global scale, basic human rights, and the creation of Art and discovery of the ancient past.

Then there are the things that they witnessed that always seemed to promise so much but give back so little.

Like wars, oil and elections.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
Here's a new angle on this old thread of ours.

Virginia Muise was only the 31st oldest person (but the oldest in New England) when she died a week ago, but she was undoubtably the longest-lived Red Sox fan. She was rooting for them when they won the World Series in 1918 and was still a fan when they won it again this year.

She was born in 1893, saw Titanic survivors getting off rescue boats in 1912 as a teen, moved to Boston in 1923. She was born before the invention of radio broadcasts or airplanes! And she always kept a Red Sox cap on her nightstand.

Thanks for bringing her to everyone's attention Doctor Q. I was interested in the fact that she worked at the Lying In Hospital. It is used now by Brigham and Women's Hospital for research. I went there in 1999 to volunteer with the DASH 2 study. Currently I'm volunteer with the Omni Heart Study. I go there 5 days a week for my dinner, they provide 100% of my food.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Very popular thread ;) ... I assume this will continue until it talks about one of us :rolleyes: , long live macrumors.

I think that it doesn't matter at all how old you are at your last day but what you did before...

alset said:
I read an article in Discover Magazine about the aging process. We are gaining about two years per decade to life expectancy. Scientists debate whether we will be able to sustain it (most of the gain is from treating early age disease and later heart failure) or if geriatric care is leveling off. Some say children born today may live to 150 and beyond.

From what I understand, our maximum age hasn't really changed for as long as we've been able to tell these things. Life expectancy has risen by vastly reducing the deaths of infants (their deaths really bring the average down), as well has keeping people from dying during the rest of their life due to medical advances.

A thousand years ago, people may have lived to 120, but more likely, something would have killed them along the way, be it a heart attack, infection or any other numbers of things that are easily addressable these days...

hmmm... what's more important?

Should one really count their sleeping hours as living?

A lives 120 years, sleeps 8 hours a day.
B lives 107 years, sleeps 6 hours a day.
Who really lives longer?

Then you've got the quality of life issues.

A spends 4 hours a day watching TV.
B spends those hours painting, dancing, screwing and playing.

Who want's a 120,000 mile warranty on a Yugo? :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Worlds oldeste man dies in New York

From CNN:

DEWITT, New York (AP) -- Fred Hale Sr., documented as the world's oldest man, died on Friday.

Hale died in his sleep at The Nottingham in suburban Syracuse, while trying to recover from a bout of pneumonia, his grandson, Fred Hale III, said.

He was 12 days shy of his 114th birthday.

Born December 1, 1890, Hale last month watched his lifelong favorite baseball team, the Boston Red Sox, win the World Series again after 86 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/20/oldest.man.dies.ap/index.html

schmuley

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2004
Oldest person on earth

According to the Guinness book of world records, the oldest person on earth is a Dutch woman by the name of Hendrikje Andel-Schippers; she is 113 years old. There are several people in Russia, India, Suriname, and Peru claiming to be the oldest person on earth, but given the shoddy reputation of census records in these countries it is hard to substantiate those claims. Requirement for inclusion in the Guinness book of world records is being able to show a valid ID and birth certificate that supports an age claim. In June, a journalist travelling through Belarussia found a woman who claimed to be 116 years of age, Hanna Barysevich; Guinness has started an investigation.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
schmuley said:
Requirement for inclusion in the Guinness book of world records is being able to show a valid ID and birth certificate that supports an age claim.
They're getting carded!

Hoef said:
There will always be the oldest person in the world.... They'll never die :p
Yes, as in "The king is dead. Long live the king!"

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
schmuley said:
According to the Guinness book of world records, the oldest person on earth is a Dutch woman by the name of Hendrikje Andel-Schippers; she is 113 years old. There are several people in Russia, India, Suriname, and Peru claiming to be the oldest person on earth, but given the shoddy reputation of census records in these countries it is hard to substantiate those claims. Requirement for inclusion in the Guinness book of world records is being able to show a valid ID and birth certificate that supports an age claim. In June, a journalist traveling through Belorussia found a woman who claimed to be 116 years of age, Hanna Barysevich; Guinness has started an investigation.

The article did say that there are 26 living woman older than him, according to Gerontology Research Group. Just proves that from birth to death the female is the stronger sex.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's a twist. The oldest bank robber has died.

link

J.L. Hunter ''Red'' Rountree died Oct. 12 at age 92 in prison.

He was sentenced to 12-1/2 years in prison when he was 91.

Born Dec. 11, 1911, in his family's farmhouse near Brownsville, Mr. Rountree was once a successful businessman who made his fortune in Houston by building Rountree Machinery Co., a relative said.

In 1998, Mr. Rountree (age 86) robbed SouthTrust Bank in Biloxi, Miss., and was sentenced to three years probation, fined $260 and told to leave Mississippi.

A year later, he robbed a NationsBank in Pensacola, Fla., but this time he was sentenced to three years behind bars. He was released in 2002.

In August 2003, Mr. Rountree robbed First American Bank in Abilene. In an interview with the Associated Press earlier this year, he said he walked slowly to a teller's window, handed over an envelope indicating his intent and was greeted with a surprised, ''Are you kidding?''

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Roundtree's mistake was robbing a bank in Texas. :D :eek:

This is certainly an unusual occurrence for a successful businessman turning too crime. Apparently no one noticed a possible mental illness that occurred with his aging process. The judge in Mississippi didn't help by letting him off without any punishment. I really wonder where his family was. It seems that for some reason there was an estrangement in his family. :(

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
TimDaddy said:
I wonder how much of it is simply due to third world countries gaining access to the technologies in medicine that we already have. In the future, will "really old people" be any older than the "really old people" of today, or will poorer countries just start living closer to todays average, thus brining the average up? The U.S. even has some catching up to do, as Europeans seem to live longer. Then, when the U.S. catches up, those of us in Kentucky will catch up ten to fifteen years later.

While the medicines of today can be very benificial to one's health, the modernization of chemical agents, including medicines, is contributing to the declination of general health. The more chemicals we put in our foods, the more people have heart attacks at earlier ages. The more people use medicine for small problems like head aches, the more unhealthy they get. I think many people live to be so old because they live a simple lifestyle, away from chemicals and medicine.

It's kind of like chicken-farm chickens vs. free-range chickens. The free-range chickens are much healthier and live to be much older because they aren't pumped full of hormones.

Another good example is the logevity of many Asians. I'm betting that they haven't had much experience with modern medicine, and prefer traditional treatements like acupuncture, herbs, and dietary healing.

So, my suggestion is (assuming you want to live to be old):

Live far away from pesticides. Keep 'em out of your yard, out of your food, and out of your life. Eat organic.

Stay away from medicine unless you need it. I know people who pop a pill at the first sign of a headache, and now they have to take pills all the time just to keep from getting headaches. This has gotta be horrible for you.

Monitor your diet. I bet those people who lived to be so old didn't do so by eating McDonald's everyday. If you eat organic, preferably local, produce then you are doing your body a big favor. Don't eat too much meat. If you are worried about protien, eat beans. Don't consume too many dairy products. If you're concerned about calcium, just know that milk isn't even a good source for it. If you have to drink 7 cups of milk a day to get enough calcium, then it's not a good source. Plus, most milks have hormones in them from cows that are fed hormones to get them to produce more milk. Plus, although milk has a lot of nutrients, it is harder for our bodies to absorb them than nutrients in vegetables and fruits, because they are cow nutrients. So, if you are worried about calcium, there are plenty of better sources than milk and other dairy products. Try Horizon's Organic Orange Juice with added calcium. I love that stuff.

Stay away from saturated fats. It's no wonder that there are so many heart attacks happening all around America when you look at the average American diet. Saturated fats are everywhere. Fat in itself isn't bad, but you gotta get the essential fatty acids, that actually help to break down the bad fats.

I'm not a proponent to veganism or vegatarianism, although there's nothing wrong with those lifestyles. Meat isn't all bad if it isn't over-eaten. But your better off getting protein from vegetables, so limit the amount of meat you eat.

Okay, I better stop, because I'm feeling very hypocritical. I ate horribly today (Thanksgiving ;)). Plus, I'm the king of hypocracy being that I'm the King of Ramen Noodles, and the author of this post ;).

Oh well. Eat right, exercise, stay away from chemicals and you'll live to be much older than if you didn't.

scem0

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
wdlove said:
The article did say that there are 26 living woman older than him, according to Gerontology Research Group. Just proves that from birth to death the female is the stronger sex.

As a married man I know the truth.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
roadapple said:
At what age do you think you will die?
When I'm 96. I just like the number, that's all. And it's 3*(2^(3+2)), which has a nice pattern to it. That's as good a reason as any.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
roadapple said:
At what age do you think you will die?

I don't care too much about that, you know, there must be a point where you say "I'm ready, I've done what I had to" , as long as I reach that point I will be more than happy, that will be the happiest day of my life ;) .

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
AmigoMac said:
I don't care too much about that, you know, there must be a point where you say "I'm ready, I've done what I had to" , as long as I reach that point I will be more than happy, that will be the happiest day of my life ;) .

It would be a bit irritating if you were hit and killed by a bus the day before though.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Chappers said:
It would be a bit irritating if you were hit and killed by a bus the day before though.

it would be irritating to know which day is the last one ;).
Live everyday like the last one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.