Oldie 1G iPod Touch... Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alvi, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I got my iPod Touch the first day it was released, so now it's a bit old and one thing that really bothers me is that the headphone jack is kinda broken and i just hear on the left side... any advice on how to fix that?
    I was thinking about taking it to apple or any other repair store so they replace the battery too

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

It's possible that the broken headphone jack is just loose inside the case. If that is the problem, it could be easily fixed at pretty much any electronics repair place where they know how to solder. It might be something else though. Either way, I'm pretty sure the Apple store would have to send it in.

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Had the same problem with my daughters a few months back. unfortunately the headphone jack on the 1G touch is an integrated part of the mainboard and can't be replaced on its own the complete mainboard including memory modules needs to be replaced which is practically the cost of a new touch.

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

What a horrible way to design an iPod :(

5. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Isn't it possible to unsolder it? I had a cellphone which's microphone was soldered to the mainboard and idk how they unsoldered it and insterted a new one

6. rowsdower macrumors 6502

From the teardown photos it looks like it might be a flex cable soldered onto the board. It should be difficult but not impossible to fix in that case. Of course, it might not even be a loose connection causing the problem.