Oldies but Goodies Please please please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeeJayRig, Oct 4, 2007.

1. DeeJayRig macrumors newbie

My PowerBook G3 firewire is loaded with software I purchased as a student, including photoshop, illustrator and idesign...

The mac is completely dead, and found a light in this forum which I hope it will help me bringing it back to life, please read this folllowing thread but answer here.

Thank you!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=56374&styleid=25

I hope some one can help me.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've worked on exactly that model of PB with exactly that problem, and it turned out to be very easy to fix (there's a post on it elsewhere on the forums that I'm not finding right now).

The problem is that the internal backup battery is dead, so there's nothing to "kick in" the circuitry that charges the regular battery and such.

Fix is thus: Open the keyboard. down on the motherboard, you should be able to see where the battery plugs in--it's a 2-wire little white plastic block connector. The battery pack itself looks rather like several calculator batteries (the round button ones) wrapped in plastic, but I"m not sure if that's visible with the keyboard off or not.

Regardless, unplug the little connector from the motherboard. Plug it in and push the power button--should start right up. You can then reconnect the little connector and close it up.

Hope that fixes your problem.

3. DeeJayRig thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Makosuke

Thank you for your quick response.

I have no doubt that will be the case, because that happened before on a (believe it or not) an SE MacIntosh !!

I will do just that, my question now is to I reach from the top or from the bottom? Thanks again! That cleared my doubts

Rig:)

4. DeeJayRig thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'll be really interested in hearing if replacing that battery pack resolves the problem. I'd considered doing that, but it wasn't worth the hassle unless it was actually going to work.

Looking forward to a report one way or the other.