Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShovelHead84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
orlando
1. it is not realistic to portray teen girls and young women thus…
2. ads like this one contributes significantly to peer pressure that results in eating disorders and other health and esteem issues…
3. Madison Avenue generally and the fashion industry in particular is responsible…

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
You have an example of what you're talking about? I, personally, am not familiar with the Old Navy ad to which you referred.

Are you proposing that we boycott or something??

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I don't think she looks like a 14-year-old boy. This is what a 14-year-old boy looks like. (actuallly they only rarely look this good. Most of the time they're wearing baggy pants and ripped up t-shirts)

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,514

ShovelHead84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
orlando
yes i believe i am referring to the 'madras' ad…

remarkably i had not considered that some girls do look like 14 yo boys… no joke… i don't know how that is gonna affect my attitude toward the portrayal of females as stick figures that makes that a desirable physical trait that glorifies a physical model that is unattainable for most young women and even if attainable it is thru unhealthy means mentally and physically…

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Although I tend to agree on this kind of thing, I actually like this old navy ad.

But we should already be boycotting Old Navy, they are owned by The Gap who is cutting down old redwoods. Their previous commercials which were intentionally, painfully corny are reason enough to boycott them for an eternity.

e

XNine

macrumors 68040
It's better than them looking like whores when they're 13. Seriously, go to a mall, and these days 13 year old girls are wearing daisy dukes and playboy shirts and makeup. Some of them even expose clevage. It's like, "hey, what's up girrrrrrr- AAAAAAAAH! You're not old enough!"

Besides, if any girl is dumb enough to fall for this "I must vomit my food to look like a skelaton" routine, I say be gone with them, and their parents for not teaching them any better.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Well, I'll agree with ShovelHead while noting that despite a few changes for the better, too many women still look this way on TV, in movies, and especially in clothing ads and on fashion runways.

And it's not just the media and fashion designers that promote this unhealthy look. It seems quite a few guys have it in their heads that it's the way a woman "should" look. Despite the fact that it was a few years ago, I still remember the severe criticism Alicia Silverstone came in for when she appeared as Batgirl. Lots of guys made horrible disparaging remarks about how "fat" she was.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
She is skinny alright, but I would hardly describe her as a teenage boy. I wouldn't call her unnaturally skinny either. Skinny yeah, but nothing extreme. At least not here in Europe.
People really should divert more interest to their inside and care a bit less about the exterior.

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
most models are models because of the way the clothes look on them anyway, lots of them are [sadly] born like that, skinny and tall, that's why there're so few -_- I have a friend who is a model and my adopted sister is miss vietnam, they eat like horse, really O_O [lots and lots of vegetable], and exercise because modeling is really energy consuming[at least from my experience, modeling for art classes is] and that model is not that anorexic skinny like Nicole Richie... urgh
and it is sad that lots of guy think it is the way a woman should look but I've ask my guy friends and they also said they refer a curvier girl, more things to "paw" at ;) most 13 years old I know know better than trying to be model thin while they're just lazing around the couch

ShovelHead84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
orlando
the soft scientists and Oprah say that young girls ladies strive to the perfection that they see as the runway models and the Hollywood stars…

what they do not have the guts to say:
the fashion industry dictates those kine tastes and attitudes and the fashion industry is controlled by homosexuals and those that have an economic interest in being accepting influenced by the homosexuals that control the fashion industry and the homosexuals in the fashion industry like 14 yo boys and the way they look moreso than a chick with curves and boobs and bootie…

now after you are through calling me a bigot or a basher find a gay guy and ask him if there is validity in what i say…

i am not gay and don't have that kine intimate knowledge about gays…

i got my information from gay guys…

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My personal information disclaimer... I *have* an eating disorder and am in some sort of partially recovered state, I guess....

Okay, so I finally watched the video... Mmm, first, this is hardly the most egregious example of fashion advertising that is readily available. There are quite a few women in the ad, and most of them look more or less on the thinner side of the normal healthy weight range. A couple of them are thin, and to be fair, it is true that none of them look like they are on the higher end of a healthy weight range.

But, I've seen much, much, much more triggering advertisements. Most of the models in this are pretty, but there are so many commercials in fashion that set standards that are more unrealistic than those in this one that this one seems like a strange one to single out....

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm sorry, but how is this any different than it's always been?
I am not condoning it, but this "issue" is nearing it's 40th birthday, no?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Just about EVERY ad illustrates that point, with the notable exception of whatever that soap/cosmetic company is that is using 'real' people as it's models. Dove, I think it is.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
ShovelHead84 said:
1. it is not realistic to portray teen girls and young women thus…
2. ads like this one contributes significantly to peer pressure that results in eating disorders and other health and esteem issues…
3. Madison Avenue generally and the fashion industry in particular is responsible…

Madison Avenue?!
Botox and plastic surgery, yes, but teenage anorexia and bulimia, try Hollywood.

ShovelHead84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
orlando
Hollywood is influenced as much no more than the teenager in Des Moines…

remember that red head girl that had the big boobs that everybody said was fake and now she weighs in at about 90 ppunds nad no boobies… she was in the Herbie movie…

ShovelHead84

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2006
orlando
i wasn't clear… sorry…

Madison Avenue influences Hollywood not the other way around… and the teen girl and the young ladies in their 20's too are influenced by Madison Avenue which takes its cues from the fashion industry that produce the clothes they hawk…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.