Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

It most definitely would have an effect on the display. OLED displays have their advantages and disadvantages, just as IPS LCD displays do. Personally, IPS LCD displays is superior to OLED. OLED displays are nearly unusable in direct sunlight, while IPS LCD displays are relatively easy to use and can get might brighter. OLED's also seem to always have blown-out colors, but they definitely beat out IPS LCD displays in terms of black levels, although that seems to be changing. IPS LCD displays are only going to get even better once Apple moves to IGZO displays, which should bring major battery life boosts and possibly higher resolution displays that use far less power than current displays do.

Honestly, I don't think Apple will ever switch to OLED displays for their iDevices and future iWatch (because of crappy daytime visibility), and iOS 7 just proves that theory even more. The reason? iOS 7 is so white. OLED displays use the most power when the pixels are lit up white. That would be a huge battery drain on iOS 7 which has tons of white space in nearly every app. Don't bet on Apple moving to OLED anytime soon.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
yes & no.

I love the screen on my Vita, don't know if it would be worth it on my phone since LCD still has some other advantages.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
iOS 7 is so white. OLED displays use the most power when the pixels are lit up white. That would be a huge battery drain on iOS 7 which has tons of white space in nearly every app. Don't bet on Apple moving to OLED anytime soon.
I'd had exactly the same thought when iOS 7 went so white, i.e. that it had just become far less OLED friendly. A lot of my use of my iPhone is reading ebooks which is lots of white (or sepia) on screen and also makes me want really long battery life so I'm hoping for IGZO as the future direction. It would be great for anything that involves reading content since one of the big benefits is the significant power reduction when displaying static images.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
NOOOOOOOO!!!!

The OLED on my note 2 nowhere near as nice as a good IPS screen. No thanks.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I also own a S4 and while the OLED screen is bright and colorful, it does not have the gamut of an IPS screen. Maybe one day they will but not today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.