OLED keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cube, May 28, 2012.

1. cube macrumors G5

When will MBPs come with OLED keyboards?

I think that's more pressing than retina.

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

You mean like a giant touchscreen keyboard, or each key with a small LCD in it? Or the backlight switched to OLED??

Keep waiting. Probably never gonna happen. What is wrong with a standard keyboard anyways? I would think an OLED keyboard would be horrible on the eyes...

I dont even think it is on apples radar... it is a little used technology that very few people use.

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Yes, little OLED or illuminated e-ink screens.

----------

There's everything wrong with a standard keyboard.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

What's the point? Use an iPad if you don't want a keyboard.

I like the tactile feedback. Typing is much faster. So is operations.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Def not going to happen.... Whats so wrong with it? Tactile is so much better.... Get an Ipad and mod it....

6. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Absolutely no need for tiny little monitors instead of keys. This keyboard I'm using now works perfectly fine. No need to lower battery life, make them get dirtier easier and harder to clean, harder to use and see at night, and drive the price up. There's definitely some benefits to it such as customization for games or special apps, there's just no way that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

It's a (very small) niche market. I think it's tacky and unnecessary, and I couldn't see Apple integrating it when they're all about simplicity. It would be a waste of money, imo.

9. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

If a keyboard is needed so badly with these screens.... buy something like an Optimus... (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/) example site... Has a small screen in each key.. but as you can see, the price for the Maximus ($2070), will pretty much buy a mac.

10. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Who said no keys? A screen on each key, obviously. And the point is for it to be built in, that's why I posted in this forum.

If I wanted to buy an external, I already know where to go.

11. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well... No keys = no mechanics, cheaper to produce (maybe $50?), whereas screens in each key costs way more to engineer and produce.

Though may I ask your reasons to want this so badly? I understand it would be useful, but I cannot see many people using it. A built in one is probably never goIng to happen on a Mac. Sorry :(

12. cube thread starter macrumors G5

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You can do that anyway.
    What would be simple and neat, would be just a blank keyboard.
    Maybe one where only the sides are solid black/silver and the top is transparant.
    Then they could add for little money many adhesive stickers (the ones that stick like screen films, leave no residue and can be attached infinitely often) and everybody can just make the screen layout they want. With endless options and even totally customizable icons and combinations.
    Like someone who wants multiple layouts visible.
    Someone like me who is fine with just plain blank black.
    Someone who wants neo.
    Some who wants this language.
    or someone who wants a custom layout like my German US mix.

OLED keyboards are stupid. A flat screen has no proper feedback. Single displays on the keys take too much energy even if not very bright. e-ink would also make for a very expensive keyboard. It wouldn't be worth it for the few people that want it.
    Even my solution won't show because not enough people care about it. Most people that use different layouts sooner or later get used to the idea that they just have to ignore what is on the keys.
    When you learn a new language like russian it would be really nice to be able to switch to phonetic Cyrillic and actually see the remaining keys that don't match phonetically and are thus a pain to find.

Learning neo obviously also require some onscreen display or stickers which don't work too well with the center labeled Apple keyboards.
    Windows notebooks is easier the Label are often on the corner so you can fit a sticker next to it on a different corner.

14. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Go there, then.

15. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The Optimus Maximus has been criticized for being too stiff. It sacrifices comfort for the convenience of little screens on each key.
    However, an occasional-use screen-embedded keypad like the one on the Razer Blade might be slightly convenient, but still impractical for a laptop.

16. cube thread starter macrumors G5

No stickers. The point is to be able to easily switch between layouts.

----------

Those keyboards are expensive because they are low volume. Even if Apple made them BTO, it would mean a lot of units.

17. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I'm sorry, but wouldn't touch typing solve that problem completely? I can touch type Dvorak on a QWERTY keyboard and vice versa, thus alleviating the need for an OLED keyboard.
    I also can touch type in Korean, so if you're going to argue the foreign language side, I got that covered too.

18. cube thread starter macrumors G5

To touch type, you have to learn first.

19. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The worst way to learn how to touch type is to develop a dependency on the keyboard characters.

20. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I'm not going to learn Neo on a QWERTY keyboard.

If labelling were not necessary, companies would just sell blank keyboards.

Reconfigurable keyboards are for people who want labels.

21. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

This.
    It's a silly idea and will not happen.

22. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

They do sell blank keyboards. Das is a top-of-the-line company too.
    True touch typists could and do use them.
    Heck, I don't even need the little notch markers anymore.

And the best way to learn how to touch type is trial-and-error row by row. Learning Neo on a QWERTY keyboard would do you a HUGE favor.

23. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I know they sell blank keyboards. How many computers come with them?

24. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If you wanna go that way, quite a lot of computers don't come with a keyboard at all, either...
    My point still stands. Touch typing solves the layout problem.

25. cube thread starter macrumors G5

You're assuming that my immediate goal is to learn to touch type Neo. What I want is a programming and multilingual-friendly layout.