OLED MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uni Grad, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

Uni Grad

Do we expect an OLED MacBook Pro for the 2018 update, or am I being too hopeful?

Although we're no analysts, I want to know when people think we'll be getting an OLED screen on the MBP?

2. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

No OLED for MacBooks anytime soon IMHO

Cost-benefit not working for OLED as lcd screens get better and other laptop components are less power hungry negating the benefits of OLED.

3. maerz001 macrumors 6502

The screen apple updates only on a redesign. Which will be than 2020. But doubt for oled

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I could see Apple venturing onto Micro-Led over OLED in the future being how efficient the displays are and they have increased brightness, consuming less battery.

5. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

Apple are going to struggle to get the yield for the OLED iPhone this year, we won't see it on MacBooks for quite some time. Maybe 2018-2019 we'll get it on iPads, but we're probably be looking 2021+ for MacBooks, and that's even if they decide to go down that route. I wouldn't hold off buying if you're waiting for OLED. They new MacBook screens are rather remarkable as is IMO.

6. meteoreos macrumors regular

meteoreos

Apple has invested in MicroLed technologies as of late and from what I gather, it's a lot more promising than OLED.

One can only pray that the next redesign has a MicroLed display.

7. leman macrumors 604

So far, shipping OLED screens on laptops seem to have significant drawbacks in some key areas (such as power consumption) compared to what Apple uses right now. Given that Apple displays are among the best right now, I don't really see much point for them to change.

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I'm curious about this as well. On one hand, it seems like going to OLED could mean better viewing angles, a brighter screen, better durability, and a thinner screen (and so a thinner computer). But, on the other hand, I've read that the OLED picture quality/brightness can degrade faster than LCDs.

9. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

We are going to definitely get OLED iPhones and iPads before OLED macbook pro's.

Seeing as we're getting OLED iphones this year, I'd expect OLED iPads next year and then maybe macbook pro's eventually.

10. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

Actually, the 2017 15 inch MacBook Pro has a better screen with 10 bit colors rather than 8 bit with the 2016 model. 13 inch is still the same screen however.

11. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

The elephant in the room for OLED is Screen burn-in. Yes, there are a few Alienware laptops that use OLED, and Samsung is throwing it around pretty heavy, but you still have to be careful not to leave a static image displayed for too long on them [Coincidentally, that's why the S8's lock screen time display subtly moves around... to prevent it from burning in]

12. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Come on Mark, you should be telling us, not us telling you. <wink, wink>