Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
If rumors turn out to be true, we're finally getting oled on iPad Pro, but why now?

Apple could have perfectly used this technology years ago on the iPad lineup, just like with iPhone. If they use it in iPhone, their best selling product, it's because it's the better technology.

Does this mean Apple will acknowledge that miniled isn't the best technology for displays? Curious to see what they will say. Why so late to the party?

Reactions: Wizec

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If rumors turn out to be true, we're finally getting oled on iPad Pro, but why now?

Apple could have perfectly used this technology years ago on the iPad lineup, just like with iPhone. If they use it in iPhone, their best selling product, it's because it's the better technology.

Does this mean Apple will acknowledge that miniled isn't the best technology for displays? Curious to see what they will say. Why so late to the party?
Because this type of oled isn’t same as current oled for tablets. It’s a newer tech which can go to 1HZ while also be able to produce brighter displays

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Because this type of oled isn’t same as current oled for tablets. It’s a newer tech which can go to 1HZ while also be able to produce brighter displays
To me it seems quite a stretch that Apple would wait so many years to bring OLED to iPads just because of one or two details like those. It's not like current OLED tech is bad or lacking. On the contrary, it's been great for years, unless they wanted great HDR.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
To me it seems quite a stretch that Apple would wait so many years to bring OLED to iPads just because of one or two details like those. It's not like current OLED tech is bad or lacking. On the contrary, it's been great for years, unless they wanted great HDR.

They wanted the best level of OLED without burn in and other issues. OLED did tablets is different to smart phones. Also it’s the next stage for displays. Mac will get it next and then micro LED down the line

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023

Because up to this point in time, OLED has not met Apple’s standards to be used in an iPad. It’s as simple as that.

Existing OLED technology for tablets is prone to warping, burn in and other issues.

That’s why Apple are reportedly using next generation two stack tandem OLED which addresses some of these issues.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Why so late? Because Apple allowed time to pass for people to upgrade their iPads a few times in the meantime. If Apple jumped right out to OLED then there would be fewer opportunities to turn the crank on the upgrade machine.

Same reason for the delay in producing an iPad Pro with a landscape front-facing camera. They could've done THAT years ago, but when they DO release one, there will be a segment of the consumers who would upgrade their otherwise usable iPad Pro just to get the landscape camera.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
What gets me is analysts stating expect it to cost an extra $500 for the OLED display. I mean Samsung has included far superior OLED displays for many years at a cost less than the supposed extra $500 for the iPad screen when the whole Samsung tablet often costs less than $500.

I wish Android was better for tablets, as the tech for some of the other companies is so much better. But they can’t compete with Apple on the SoC and ecosystem.

Reactions: Wizec and Rafterman

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
What gets me is analysts stating expect it to cost an extra $500 for the OLED display. I mean Samsung has included far superior OLED displays for many years at a cost less than the supposed extra $500 for the iPad screen when the whole Samsung tablet often costs less than $500.

I wish Android was better for tablets, as the tech for some of the other companies is so much better. But they can’t compete with Apple on the SoC and ecosystem.
While an increase is highly likely I doubt it will be as much as people say

the fact 12.9 air is coming says an increase is coming

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
OLED tv has this burn in issue, exactly why pay extra money to get this issue on the new ipad?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

I highly doubt the iPad will get the same quality OLED displays found in the Apple Watch Ultra 2 and iPhone 15 Pro Max, that will cost too much money.

The MacBook Pro’s also have better mini-LED panels than the iPad Pro, so the same will be true most likely with OLED where Apple will cut some costs.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
In Spain, price for the base iPad Pro 12.9 is 1.350€, which is absolutely nuts for a tablet. Previous M1 model was 1.000€.

Now another price increase? I don't see how most people will be able to stomach that price for the 12.9 Pro.

The 12.9 Air is not an option is you must have 120Hz.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
Nobody must have 120Hz. People will want it. I couldn’t deal with the latest iPad mini due to jelly scrolling. Worst iPad experience I have ever had by a long shot. So sad that for that price with a small screen Apple can’t get it correct!

Rather than just sell an iPad mini small size or now switch to Air for the large also; why not sell an iPad Pro in 9”, 11”, and 13” versions all with the exact same specs and cameras? That would surely make a lot of people upgrade. The iPad mini is Apple’s weakest offering. It’s the perfect size for reading, but I couldn’t read on it due to the jelly scrolling. Then I thought rather than put a worse display in the mini why not have a mini and have a 9” iPad Pro that does everything a big iPad Pro will do except be the perfect size. Wouldn’t have jelly scrolling if it were OLED.

That would make more sense to me. I like Apple’s addition of a larger MacBook Air and assuming iPad Air. Why not take the same approach but on the smaller side with the iPad Pro and heck why not the MacBook Air also. 11” 13” and 15” MacBook Air and 12”, 14” and 16” MacBook Pros. Three sizes wouldn’t confused the lineup it would make it small, normal, big in each product line. It almost makes too much sense.

I would have iPad Pros in two sizes then. A 9” for reading and Mobility on the go and 13” for consumption and working at home.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I hope the prices don’t skyrocket to where most people can’t afford the new iPad Pros. I really would like to have one, but that 12.9 iPad Air sounds awfully tempting.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
As others have said, there are always tradeoffs until OLED gets good enough. The S9 Ultra screen has almost half the sustained XDR brightness levels of the iPad Pro. But it’s definitely better than previous ones - for example, I think it exceeds the iPad Pro peak brightness. Could Apple have already used a OLED screen that meets their color accuracy and brightness requirements? Probably yes, but at what cost in terms of price, production capacity, complexity, failure rate, etc.? Specially given that iPads are sold in much higher volumes than any other tablet. I think there are many variables that we cannot imagine, and trying to find simple answers is useless - we can just try to guess the obvious limitations.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
Why so late? Because Apple allowed time to pass for people to upgrade their iPads a few times in the meantime. If Apple jumped right out to OLED then there would be fewer opportunities to turn the crank on the upgrade machine.

Same reason for the delay in producing an iPad Pro with a landscape front-facing camera. They could've done THAT years ago, but when they DO release one, there will be a segment of the consumers who would upgrade their otherwise usable iPad Pro just to get the landscape camera.
I prefer portrait to landscape camera, so that’s not necessary what most people want. And even if it was, I guess very few customers would upgrade their tablet because of the camera location. I think there are more obvious issues, like the fact that the pencil location would need to be changed.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I am betting that Apple will give us choices and a cheaper alternative will be offered in all sizes to fit people's budget. If you want the very best, it will cost you! That is the way it is . . .

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021

I don’t think it was a cartoonish conspiracy.

I suspect it was (1) waiting until some of the colour issues in larger OLED panels are ironed out, and more importantly (2) waiting for the price of panels to come down, to maintain the profit margins while hitting a particular price point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.