Oleophobic coating and screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Oct 6, 2011.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I'm planning on picking up the 4S at launch, and I'm considering throwing a screen protector on it. I typically don't use them but I will be at the beach a lot and want to protect from sand scratches.

Does anyone know what the last word is on whether the screen protectors mess with or pull off the oleophobic coat on the new phones?

Thanks.

2. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I had them for the first 6 months or so of my iPhone 4, but haven't gone with them since. I don't think they're needed.

Having said that, I just got back from the beach and I could see why you'd want on there. I would one that uses static to cling to the screen, vs adhesive. Just in case.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not only that, but the adhesive ones like the InvisibleShield give an awful surface IMHO unless you like orange peel. Just my opinion.

I've used the cling type for as long as I've had iphones (3GS and ip4) and no issues with the coating if I've removed the film. On the other hand, I've not had to remove it. :) Some brands have an oleophobic coating on the protector, so it's a nice benefit.

As to scratches, I have some minor ones on my iphone and ipad2 protectors; if they get bad enough to worry about I'll just swap out the protector. Although the glass screen is resistant to scratches, the coating may not be so much so (search here on MR).

In the end it's a personal choice. I respect those who choose not to use them, but I prefer the piece of mind. Especially when I see the gunk that gets in behind the Incase snapcase and would be rubbing against the rear glass but for the protector on the back.

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Sand scratches?

5. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Bestskinsever maker a very nice all body skin which I'm using on an iPhone 4.
    The oleophobic glass can't be affected by this skin. It takes an abrasive to remove the oleophobic layer.
    I found out the hard way.

6. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I've been looking at a lot but someone I know with an iPhone hates them. Makes the screen look dull and cases cause bubbles and they haven't really had problems with scratches even after a year of use.

7. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

Sand is one of the few things that is actually hard enough to scratch gorilla glass screens. Just like diamonds.

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I don't know, and I'd rather not test it.