Oleophobic coating, Fruit Ninja, and scratches

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aperry, Mar 24, 2011.

1. aperry macrumors 6502a

I'm sure people will tell me I'm somehow "wrong", but I want to share my experience with scratches on the new iPad:

Got my iPad 32 black wifi on launch day. I didn't apply a screen protector, figuring I would wait until they become more available and cheaper. I'm still unclear as to whether the old screen protectors fit on the new iPad. The one I had left over didn't seem perfect, so didn't use it. Further, I've read that the black bezel is thinner on the new iPad, and the screen is the same, so I didn't see how it should fit.

Enter Fruit Ninja, a wonderfully fun game that I started playing with my son and.....my wife (with her polished finger nails). Now, Fruit Ninja is great fun and after a year's experience with an iPad1 and iPhone 4 I wouldn't have expected that you could scratch the coating with your fingernail. But we did. More specifically, I think my wife's nails did. Admittedly, she was playing quite violently and those fruit were being sliced with great velocity.

I didn't see the scratches at first, but when I gave it a good cleaning and put it under a halogen light at just the right angle, they lit up. Long arched fruit ninja movements horizontally across the screen. They are hard to see without the right light, but they definitely did not disappear no matter how much I cleaned the surface. I'm pretty sure they were in the coating and not the actual glass.

Today I got a replacement iPad because of a different issue, so I'm happy to be gone with the scratches. While at the mall I (very reluctantly!) ponied up $55 for the full-body Ghost Armor treatment. Aside from a very slight orange-peel effect, it seems pretty good so far.

Anyway, that's my experience and I hope it saves you from some unfortunate surprises. I would personally prefer an iPad without the Oleophobic coating at all. It does a nice job making fingerprints easy to erase, but for me I'd rather have the harder glass surface, even if it takes longer to clean.

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

If it was just glass though, your fingers wouldn't slide around the screen as easily as they do now. :)

3. aperry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hehehe, very good point. I'll have to reconsider my findings :)

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Noticed this with my 4, playing the same game except my fingernails are short.

Pretty much that coating scratches easily....I have babied my phone and it still has scratches. I dont mind them now (made a thread about it that had a ton of replies too)

But IMO putting screen protectors on just look bad. Each has there own opinion, however.

Oh and I've had iPad 1 since April 2010 with no screen protectors and its got maybe 1 or 2 scratches. Pretty good there.