Oleophobic coating scratches - excuse for self-comforting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heresiarch, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Heresiarch macrumors member

So my iPhone 6 Plus which has no screen protectors got a few thin scratches on random places - those that can be seen only under strong lighting and in certain angles. Not unexpected as my previous iPhones/iPads got them as well. Annoying for a while but doesn't affect it resale value actually.

This got me thinking - everyone claims that those are "oleophobic coating scratches", as if it makes it feel better than getting “real glass scratches". But what's the difference between them? They both bring out the same effect - screen is scratched, and looks worse. I can still feel the scratches with my fingertips.

Googling around just show people freaking out "my screen is scratched!!" and people replying "chill dude, it's just the oleophobic coating". But really, is it any better than getting real scratches on the glass itself?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you can "feel" the scratches, they are not just in the coating.:(

3. wxman2003 Suspended

If it's in the coating, the scratches will go away as the coating wears off with use.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Everyone doesn't. Some do. How they're assessing this via posts on MacRumors indicates that they can't actually say for certain.