Oleophobic coating: wears off in a month?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mavis, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I got my 3GS on launch day, which was about a month and half ago. The past week or so I've been noticing that there seem to be more fingerprints and smudges on the screen than there used to be. Instead of being completely clean after wiping the phone on my shirt for a few seconds, it's now only mostly clean. While these observations are hardly scientific, I'm absolutely certain that the oleophobic coating is no longer as effective as it was a month ago.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Harman M macrumors member

Complain to Apple. Demand compensation. Use a good Brooklyn accent.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Pahahaaha I really laughed at that.

-Omi
    x

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm ok.

How have you handled your iPhone. Unprotected, in your pocket with keys/coins? Using some sort of liquid cleaner?

6. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Unprotected but in a pocket by itself; it's not scratched at all, the screen is absolutely perfect. It just shows more smudges than it used to and takes more effort to clean.

7. petesonline macrumors newbie

Mavis the area where the screen coating is wearing of, do you see any screen discoloration? I have a theory that the lengthy issue with the yellowing screen is a result of poor qc during the coating and adhesive used to adhere it to the screen being. I think apple is not willing to admit that this new update to the screen coating maybe due to poor qc, during manufacturing.

8. camarobh macrumors 6502

Yes!

I have noticed the same thing. My phone definitely is showing more fingerprints and smudges than it did when I first bought it.

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

It's too bad that, if the coating is wearing off, Apple can' market a spray coating that you could reapply. An Oleophobic Screen Protector Sheet would also be good.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

11. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, it's the entire screen - not just one particular area. And it is not causing any discoloration whatsoever - as I said, it's just that the screen seems to show more smudges than it did when it was new, and seems to take slightly more effort to clean.

So it looks like I'm not the only one. Thanks for posting!! :)

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Maybe your fingers are getting greasier?
    This is directed at you too Mavis, with respect.
    ~1400~

13. Hawkwind macrumors member

Wasn't there another thread around that stated that Apple said the effects of the coating would wear off over time? Don't think it mean't there would be any visual wearing off, just that the effects would diminsh over time.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

There was a photo on gizgadget or enmodo a while back where some dude had an obvious bald spot in the coating from playing a game over and over. Based on that pic, I seriously doubt the coating has worn completely away across your entire screen evenly. You would see an area where it had rubbed off.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Could it be related to the season? Summer, more humid weather is causing your fingers to be sweatier and thus more prone to leave marks?

16. curly14 macrumors regular

curly14

Maybe so lets put this thread to bed and wake it back up in the winter:D

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Have you tried giving the iPhone a really good clean (like with a damp paper towel) and then drying it off? Maybe the grease sticks to the screen over time and while you think you might have wiped it all off with your shirt, you could just be spreading it around leaving the oleophobic layer underneath. Just a suggestion.

18. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I'm probably not supposed to do this, but I use a Clorox wipe on the whole phone every night, including the screen. I have had the phone for over a month, and I don't see any difference in the screen yet.

19. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

it's a lot more advanced than that. The actual coating is no big deal, and has been around for awhile. It's getting that coating to adhere to the glass (well, maybe not so well) that was the big innovation here.

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yikes, dude.

21. littledude8209 macrumors regular

epic win. do this and your a SHOE IN for a new phone :D

22. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I was actually just thinking about this the other day when cleaning my phone, so you're not he only one that's for sure.

23. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

And now, a month later, it's even worse. I'm noticing that the bottom half of the screen - the place where i touch the screen most: keyboard area, etc - takes more effort to clean than the top half. Anyone else?

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The bottom half of my screen gets greasier, so of course it's harder to clean. I can still wipe it clear with a dry cloth, so I think it's fine.

25. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I just smudged the holy living hell out of my screen for testing purposes and notice absolutely no difference in the amount of time it takes to clean it now as opposed to when I got it (launch day). I'm not sure if it's actually accumulating smudges easier than it used to; I just usually give it a wipe on a shirt sleeve when they get noticeable and then it's fine.