Olio Model One

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Zaft, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Attached Files:

2. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Looks cheap (in some ways) to me. I like round watches, but that upper "chin" (forehead?) is terrible, and it's got a rather big bezel around the actual screen. I like it more than a pebble, but I would rather have something with true integration into iOS, high quality build and great support. I've rarely been happy with 3rd party products, especially in tech.

I just don't like how they designed the screen at all, and at $595 for SS and $745 for black SS, I'll take the Apple Watch.

[​IMG]

3. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Looks nice at first glance... $599 is the starting price - same price as Apple's SS starting price... it has the same 'flat-tire' issue that the Moto 360 has... but it's notifications can't be as good as an Apple product (because of Apple's lockdown of the APIs), so I can't see buying one.

4. Glene macrumors 6502

5. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

Pass. It looks kinda cool but nothing will communicate better with an iPhone than the apple watch.

6. matrix07, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

That black model looks nice but the steel one (not black) looks so-so IMO. Round smart watch that mimic traditional watch looks boring and insecure, also IMO. If I want traditional watch I'll buy traditional watch.
    For the price of Apple Watch SS you got stainless steel body but only Ion-X glass that Apple use on Sport models, and it will not be compatible fully with iOS.
    Still, it's a good watch.

7. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

To me, the plain flat square/rectangle looks lazy and toyish. I had this style back in the mid-80's with my Casio Databank. Apple couldn't come up with something better? Maybe a more molded around the wrist rectangular screen like the Samsung has?

I'd take a traditional style watch over a square any day, if for the very reason that at least it has style.

8. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Looks cool, but it should be a full circle. I dont like the cut top.

9. kdarling, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    At least the Olio made me learn a new word: Guilloché

As in, the Olio has a "Guilloché textured high-impact Ion-Exchange glass crystal and caseback." - Olio Devices

In other words, they engine-turned a delicate pattern on the glass crystal and metal caseback, using a rose engine lathe. It's easier to see up close:

2015_olio_Guilloche.png

What's a bit interesting is that each color is a limited 500 piece edition from Steve Jacobs, former chief designer and senior product manager at Apple.

To me, the more fascinating thing is that this is another "homebrew" smartwatch using one of MediaTek's smartwatch chipsets. MediaTek is creating multi-core low power chips with everything you need on it, from display to Bluetooth to HR sensor interfaces... and it's programmed using "LinkIt" APIs similar to the popular Arduino processor kits.

Won't be long before I bet we see inexpensive design-it-yourself smartwatch kits.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

All the smart watches make me use the term gauche.

:eek: