Olloclip Debuts iPhone 6 and 6 Plus 'OlloCase' Compatible With Lens Accessory Line

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At CES, popular iPhone lens manufacturer Olloclip showed MacRumors an upcoming iPhone case designed to work with its line of lenses, and at the time, we were highly impressed with the design. As of this week, Olloclip is now accepting pre-orders for the case, called the OlloCase, which we were able to get our hands on ahead of release.

Those of you familiar with Olloclip's line of lenses know that they're not able to work with iPhone cases due to the way that they fit tightly over the iPhone's camera, so until now, iPhone photography enthusiasts had to choose between using an Olloclip lens and having a case to protect their iPhone from drops and scratches. That's no longer the case, as the new OlloCase is compatible with the company's latest iPhone 6 and 6 Plus lens systems.

Olloclip's previous venture into case creation for the iPhone 5 and 5s resulted in a thick plastic case that was overly bulky, but for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Olloclip has designed an entirely new case that's impressively svelte. Available in clear and smoke black, the case is made from a thin textured plastic that lets the design of the iPhone shine through.

The sides of the case are constructed from rubber (gray for the clear case and black for the darker case) to protect the iPhone from drops. The rubber extends just a bit past the phone's display to keep the glass free from scratches when it's placed face down on a surface. There's full access to ports and there is a deep camera cutout that accommodates the Olloclip lenses. The lens accessory slides right over the top of the case and cleverly replaces the lens insert that shipped with the original Olloclip accessories for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Olloclip's OlloCase has a simple design that works well on the iPhone even when a lens accessory isn't attached to the phone, and it makes it easy to slip on a lens when a picture-taking opportunity arises. Adding and removing a lens with the case on is as easy as it is without a case. Compared to the company's previous lens-compatible cases, the new OlloCase is a significant improvement and worth a purchase for Olloclip owners who want to be able to use their lens systems with a case.

The OlloCase for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus can be pre-ordered from the Olloclip website for $29.99. Orders will begin shipping out in June.

Article Link: Olloclip Debuts iPhone 6 and 6 Plus 'OlloCase' Compatible With Lens Accessory Line

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I've had the Olloclip for the iPhone 4 and 5/5s, and I've used the iPhone 6 version. Never used the cases, but the quality of the lenses is outstanding.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I like this in theory, but I don't really like the look of the case or the huge opening for the clip... It's better than their previous attempts, though.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
With that much overhead associated with this product, a point and shoot is less complicated and comes with features that lead to significant pre-shot control when the prevailing shooting conditions are not within an iPhone's sweet spot.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Raleigh, NC
With that much overhead associated with this product, a point and shoot is less complicated and comes with features that lead to significant pre-shot control when the prevailing shooting conditions are not within an iPhone's sweet spot.
I use the fisheye lens to film skateboard videos then upload to Instagram. I've never seen a fisheye that connects to a point and shoot. Even if there is it won't be less complicated when I want to post it online.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
That much overhead? I suppose there is some overhead involved--slapping the lens onto the camera, then removing it when you're done--but consider a few of the benefits.
  • You don't need to carry two devices (no need for a phone and a separate camera) -- just a phone and a small accessory.
  • The photos can be immediately uploaded/shared via iOS's Sharing panel right from your device (upload to Facebook, Flickr, send a photo through iMessage, etc) -- that's going to be an extra step with a point-and-shoot.
  • You can retouch your photos and edit your videos taken through Olloclip right on your phone.
  • Each photo is tagged with GPS info in the EXIF data, so you'll never forget exactly where you took the shot -- most point-and-shoot cameras don't have GPS.
  • The Olloclip telephoto+macro+CPL is cheaper than all but the very cheapest point-and-shoot, yet has very good quality due to the good materials (aluminum, glass, and optical coatings).
Personally I wouldn't be carrying a separate device to take photos most of the time, but I do have an Olloclip and it's nice to have it in my pocket to take telephoto and wide angle shots when the opportunity presents itself. Olloclip+iPhone covers 98% of my photo taking needs. For the other 2% I have my Nikon DSLR + lens collection if I want to get fancy. :)

Last edited:

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I use the fisheye lens to film skateboard videos then upload to Instagram. I've never seen a fisheye that connects to a point and shoot. Even if there is it won't be less complicated when I want to post it online.
That specialized need is valid.

----------

That much overhead? I suppose there is some overhead involved--slapping the lens onto the camera, then removing it when you're done--but consider a few of the benefits.
  • You don't need to carry two devices (no need for a phone and a separate camera) -- just a phone and a small accessory.
  • The photos can be immediately uploaded/shared via iOS's Sharing panel right from your device (upload to Facebook, Flickr, send a photo through iMessage, etc) -- that's going to be an extra step with a point-and-shoot.
  • You can retouch your photos and edit your videos taken through Olloclip right on your phone.
  • Each photo is tagged with GPS info in the EXIF data, so you'll never forget exactly where you took the shot -- most point-and-shoot cameras don't have GPS.
  • The Olloclip telephoto+macro+CPL is cheaper than all but the very cheapest point-and-shoot, yet has very good quality due to the good materials (aluminum, glass, and optical coatings).
Personally I wouldn't be carrying a separate device to take photos, but I do have an Olloclip and it's nice to have it in my pocket to take telephoto and wide angle shots when the opportunity presents itself. Olloclip+iPhone covers 98% of my photo taking needs. For the other 2% I have my Nikon DSLR + lens collection if I want to get fancy. :)
If you require to transform, geotag and immediately post all your stuff, then it works for you. I assume that you do this so long as the prevailing lighting is within the phone's sweet spot.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Cool, got any links to point and shoot cameras that can make phone calls and are constantly connected to LTE?

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Never seen anyone use it ever. Might as well get a real camera if you're that serious about picture quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Never seen anyone use it ever. Might as well get a real camera if you're that serious about picture quality.
Cameras and Camcorders usually have limited processing power, unless they are very expensive. And that power is usually very application-specific. iPhones now (especially since the 5S) have significant processing power that can be harnessed in all kinds of ways through apps. But naturally they have limited optics.

An Olloclip or similar lens attachment can turn an iPhone into a powerful camera or camcorder for a broad range of applications, including those which need real-time processing and/or connectivity.

The problem with Android alternatives (such as a Samsung Galaxy Camera) is it's hard to get app developers to commit to supporting their special capabilities. The iPhone is such a stable platform (only a few, well-known hardware variations with predictable OS updates) that developers are more likely to code for it. And by 'code for it,' I mean fully take advantage of its capabilities. Then you can extend the hardware yourself with something like an Olloclip, and end up with a more functional device.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
If you are not interested in spending $500+ dollars on a new camera but want to extend the quality of your phone's camera 30 bucks seems like a good deal.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
That specialized need is valid.....If you require to transform, geotag and immediately post all your stuff, then it works for you. I assume that you do this so long as the prevailing lighting is within the phone's sweet spot.
this type of 'specialized need' is becoming more and more the norm, if it isn't already (statistically). i'd say point-n-clicks are becoming the specialized need, and that dslrs have been so since the polaroid/disposables. ever-shifting industry, really.

these lenses are great for a lot of people. i spent all day in the sun taking pics with the olloclip fisheye yesterday (5S version). great pics, tee-shirt and shorts, no bag. felt good, no regrets.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Why would someone need their camera to make phone calls? My iPhone has that feature and I never use it.
I've never understood this kind of comment, unless the person making it is just being a smart-arse Why buy a cell phone if you aren't using it to make calls. There are plenty of small tablet options that come with a cellular network connection. Otherwise get an iPod Touch and save the phone contract money. I'm calling BS on all those people making these "I don't use my cellphone as a phone" comments.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Nope, cause any review will tell you that the Galaxy Camera line of phone hybrids fail at being a phone and fail at being a camera.

And that's not even from an Apple Fanboy's perspective, that from "it's a clunky devices that drinks battery like water and doesn't even take decent pictures" perspective.

Just this weekend, I was out hiking with my girlfriend and we were shooting. I had to take my case off to use the stick-on generic lenses she got me. I got some cool shots, but I was terrified to have the case off because of how slippery the 6 is. Ollo now solves all of this, while offering superior optics.

So tell us how specific of a situation this is. Person is out, doesn't carry/own a DSLR. iPhone has very good photography set up (and to poke another hole in your argument, I have Manual as well). Used iPhone to aid with navigation to location. Used same iPhone to take pictures, panoramas, and 240fps footage. A good time was had by all. Last I checked, even DSLRs can't do all of that.

Overall, your contributions to this thread seem to reveal that you're flustered over the olloclip offerings. Sure, they're a bit pricey. They cater to a very specific mentality: "The best camera is the one that you have on you."

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
this type of 'specialized need' is becoming more and more the norm, if it isn't already (statistically). i'd say point-n-clicks are becoming the specialized need, and that dslrs have been so since the polaroid/disposables. ever-shifting industry, really.

these lenses are great for a lot of people. i spent all day in the sun taking pics with the olloclip fisheye yesterday (5S version). great pics, tee-shirt and shorts, no bag. felt good, no regrets.

Oh, sure. Just about everyone uses the fisheye lens to film skateboard videos then upload to Instagram.

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
I've never understood this kind of comment, unless the person making it is just being a smart-arse Why buy a cell phone if you aren't using it to make calls. There are plenty of small tablet options that come with a cellular network connection. Otherwise get an iPod Touch and save the phone contract money. I'm calling BS on all those people making these "I don't use my cellphone as a phone" comments.
I was being a smart ass. Of course I use it as a phone. I often burn through tens of minutes each month. To be fair, I don't have a cell phone for me, I have it for the lady who wants me to have one. Stlil, there is a valid reason I don't use the phone part as much as I might.

I have a lot of Deaf friends who have iPhones, and while we do use Face Time to communicate, we text more. Sure, there are other ways to chat, but deaf people need to communicate with people who are hearing, and they can not expect those people to download some app just for them. As far as I know you can not text message a tablet that is connected to wifi.

If your still thinking about cost I encourage you to check out TTY equipment and services. An iPhone with a plan is very cost effective.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I was being a smart ass. Of course I use it as a phone. I often burn through tens of minutes each month. To be fair, I don't have a cell phone for me, I have it for the lady who wants me to have one. Stlil, there is a valid reason I don't use the phone part as much as I might.

I have a lot of Deaf friends who have iPhones, and while we do use Face Time to communicate, we text more. Sure, there are other ways to chat, but deaf people need to communicate with people who are hearing, and they can not expect those people to download some app just for them. As far as I know you can not text message a tablet that is connected to wifi.

If your still thinking about cost I encourage you to check out TTY equipment and services. An iPhone with a plan is very cost effective.
Perfectly valid reasons. There just seem to be a huge number of people that claim they never make phone calls.

As per the texting part, yes, with the current version of iOS, it is possible to use Messages to text via wifi. You can also text from your Mac OS computer in Messages now.

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
Perfectly valid reasons. There just seem to be a huge number of people that claim they never make phone calls.

As per the texting part, yes, with the current version of iOS, it is possible to use Messages to text via wifi. You can also text from your Mac OS computer in Messages now.
That's Apple Messages. What if the person you are texting has a dumb phone?

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
That's Apple Messages. What if the person you are texting has a dumb phone?
I know for a fact that the Mac OS version can receive standard text messages. It may be relayed/shared via the phone, but I'd have to check. There are undoubtably other texting apps that would allow you to create a phone number for non-smart phones to send you a text message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.