Olympus E-5

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by El Cabong, Sep 14, 2010.

1. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

2. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

[sarcasm] Olympus makes DSLRs too? [/sarcasm]

3. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Am I the only person completely frustrated over the inclusion of "Movie Mode" and "Art Filters" on a "Pro" camera? It doesn't matter who makes it; if it's a "pro" camera, "art filters" are bloody useless, because you're going to do all that (and know how to do all that) in post processing (or, if you're a real "pro" you have a team of people doing it for you).

I'm on the fence. I'd like to upgrade my E500, but have been underwhelmed with the "updates" in that range; I'd been looking at the E3, but wanting to wait until they announced the new model before deciding.

ETA: After going over the info in the preview section, I do ahve to admit, there are some nice features added in there ... now they have to actually release it, so I can see what the market price will be ...

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

While we're on the topic of "tier-2" competitors, anyone know what happened to Fujifilm? I always thought they had a good strategy with their cameras. Just license all the body/design work from a major player (Nikon) and use some novel sensor technology to give an edge in IQ.

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

As far as I can tell, Fuji just gave up. I guess they didn't sell well enough, or their sensor tech wasn't there for the next generation, or perhaps Nikon backed off on the selling them bodies front. DR and colour have improved a lot on regular SLRS since Fuji first entered the market. I still like to think that my S5 has them beat... even if it is only 6mp and SLOW!

6. El Cabong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Especially when considering the innovations coming out of their mirrorless products, Olympus doesn't seem to be trying very hard to distinguish what used to be their flagship line. I mean, since when does a pro/prosumer camera borrow the sensor of an entry-level camera (E-PL1)? Say what you will about the new image processing engine; to me, the E-5 seems to signify a lack of commitment to seriously competing in the DSLR sector, opting (arguably wisely) instead to maintain a foothold in the mirrorless market.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Just an update to their high-end dSLR....

They need to hurry-up and start using those new Kodak CMOS sensors for their newer ones... ;)

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Don't the 550D and the 7D use the same sensors?

9. El Cabong thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 7D came first, whereas the new PENs were out before the E-5.

10. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

So?
    It seems that there is simply no way to sprinkle pixie dust on sensors to distinguish sensors of different lines of cameras.

11. El Cabong thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know if you're agreeing with me or not, but in any case, my point is that the equivalent sensors of the 7D/550D showed up in the pro/sumer body (7D) first, while the equivalent sensors of the E-5/E-PL1 showed up in the entry-level body first, and I think that (the latter) is rather unusual.

Nikon seems to be going a similar route with its new D3100 and D7000 sensors, but I'd be surprised if the D300/700 replacements didn't exceed these somehow, whenever they're released.

12. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I don't find it very unusual. Olympus just has a smaller volume than Canon and Nikon and they cannot afford to artificially delay consumer products to keep the appearance that technology is trickling down. The cost of sensors (at the same resolution) is mostly determined by size which is fixed.

Perhaps the lower volume actually may help to work out the kinks in the manufacturing processes so as to improve yield.
    The D3100 and the D7000 were released in rapid succession, I don't think you can really read something into it. I think the marketing department just wanted to keep some announcements for the photokina.

13. El Cabong thread starter macrumors 6502a

The E-x series used to be Olympus' flagship line, with the E-1 being the first 4/3 camera ever developed, and the E-3 being a significant update to it. Though the E-3's sensor didn't differ much from the crop that appeared in the E-510/410 that most recently preceded it, it was, at least, a new and improved sensor. The E-5 seems to be, at best, a concession to legacy 4/3 users.

I juxta/counterposed two speculative statements; I don't know that I was really trying to read anything into anything as much as I was trying to spark discussion.

14. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

jump

I just made the jump and moved from olympus to canon and I LOVE the canon now. I had the e500 and moved to the 7d, my advise move to Canon, its so much better :)

15. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I'm very much aware of the history of Olympus' line-up, I used to own the `predecessor' of the E-1, the E-20.

Regarding the E-5 being a concession, I'd rather say it's a mature product that leaves little to be desired within the technical boundaries that you have. This is also true for other manufacturers, you can't increase resolution much further than 18 MP with an APS-C-sized sensors or make dslrs with frame rates above 8~9 fps.* Even the ambitious amateur models nowadays sport 4.5 fps and higher which is almost the same as a EOS 1 or EOS 3 without booster back in the film days.

Dslr manufacturers are trying to make video on dslr appear to be the next big thing -- which probably for some people it is, but I'm interested in taking pictures, not making movies.

So Olympus' move is probably not as aggressive as could be, yes, but from their perspective it makes sense. As far as I know, they do have a niche market among pro photographers who take pictures in extreme conditions (in part thanks to the dust cleaning system of the sensor and the good weather sealing of its E-x bodies and pro lenses). I don't think the 4/3 system is dying, I think it's a niche market.

Olympus could make a big gamble and invest more heavily into the micro-4/3 segment and come up with something akin to the next Leica M: make a very robust body (improve upon the EP-2), figure out how to make a very good AF for such a camera and give it an electronic viewfinder as standard). It should look into making a few very good and bright primes for that camera which allow you to take your camera + 3 lenses in your pockets.

* I'm aware of Sony's new dslrs, but I'm thinking of 8 fps with full AF and a traditional mirror.
    Ah, ok, then I misunderstood you, sorry.

16. El Cabong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, similarly frustrated that video is the new hotness, although it could be, as you point out, due to product maturation in DSLRs generally.

I'd like to see somebody in the mirrorless sector really push the envelope with a really functional body (i.e. many dials, good AF/EVF). I guess Panasonic performance in an Olympus body, with improvements on both fronts, is what's in order. I really don't want to see these cameras succumb to consumer mediocrity (i.e. Sony), so it's probably up to O&P (who collectively have a big advantage in lens offerings, although it'd be nice if they were more wary of offering overlapping products) to continue to take the lead, at least until C&N jump in.

17. run-kmc macrumors member

I'm disappointed in that there doesn't seem to be much in the E5 that you can't already find in another Olympus digital. An E3 owner could "upgrade" to the E5 just by picking up one of the pen cameras instead.

18. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

This isn't a 'pro' camera so much as 'pro-sumer'. Pros my use it as a back up (or starter), but its closest rivals appear to be the Nikon D300s and Canon 50D. Both competitors have several levels above this. So I don't doubt that pros could use it, and possibly do, but there's a lotta headroom if this is Olympus's top-of-the-range model.

I remember toying with the E10 as my first DSLR. I'm so glad that I opted for the venerable Canon D30 instead.

And, yes, I do realise that it's the photographer that makes the photograph, the camera is only a tool.

19. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I think the big problem is the lackluster AF performance.
    Yeah, Sony's NEX system is a joke: I've tried it in a shop and it just felt like a toy, a point and shoot. I get that perhaps some customers would like a body like that, but all? I very much liked the handling of the Olympus EP-1 (didn't try the EP-2, but seeing as they are almost identical, I'm sure I'd like it, too). The GF-1 also feels nice.

I don't get why Canon and Nikon don't jump in on the market. If they had a proper `rangefinder' camera with an APS-C-sized sensor, I'd seriously consider it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use my existing lenses with an adapter.

20. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I can't believe that you're still shooting an E-500 and are disappointed in anything about this new camera.:confused:

My E-3 has been tough and reliable in harsh conditions, and I can't seem to break it. Good thing the E-5 looks identical on the outside, my wife will never notice the upgrade.:p:D