Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
- If I only plan on buying 2-3 nice lens, maybe one prime and one zoom, will the A6000 be better since I won't need the huge variety seen in M43 system? From what I have figured out it doesn't seem there is a HUGE difference in price and quality between Sony's affordable good lens vs. M43s. (NOT talking about Zeiss lens)
Do the lenses that you think you want exist in each system? If yes, it probably doesn't matter too much, modulo changing your mind in the future. An ancillary meta-question: is one of the lenses you want in either system a 'dud'?

- Which would work better in low light situations? (I assume outside of low light conditions it would be hard to tell the IQ between the two cameras on any lens on a computer screen)
Really won't matter. M43 sensors match current generation APS-C sensors for low light performance in pretty much every test. You could theoretically pixel bin with the higher resolution sensor (reduce the resolution in post processing to reduce high ISO noise), but you'd still be left with high ISO dynamic range, which is really the worse problem. Still, this is a golden age in photography, when even a sloppy photographer like myself can handhold a 1/6s exposure while drunk and come away with a sharp image, all thanks to image stabilization.

- From what I hear Sony is now focusing on the Full-frame lens, should I be worried at all about the future of the APS-C E mount lens or in terms of "future proofing" by buying into APS-C cameras of Sony?
I think you can use FE-mount lenses on current APS-C cameras. I personally always worry about Sony ADD, but I don't think they're going to flake out this time. You'll probably see more FE-mount than E-mount lenses in the near term because they're needed to support the A7/A7r.

- Any other advice between the two cameras.
Pick one and take the plunge. I'm a happy M43s user, so I think you should get the Olympus, but I see lots of happy Sony customers running around too. I don't think you'll regret either camera. If you order from B&H, their return policy is quite reasonable.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Either camera will serve the purpose of the original poster. The reality is that in a year or two, most people seem to buy a new camera again (in this venue) as new bells and whistles come out and also better use of image sensors.

You buy an Olympus, you may end up in 2 years buying a newer model and same with Sony. Just grab the one that feels right to you given that you are not shooting images to be enlarged in printing to 20x30" or whatever. All of them done well with A3 paper, 11x14 etc. if you do post processing properly.

I like both the offerings from Sony and Olympus and I own neither as I happen to choose the Fuji X family of cameras for my needs. If I could not have the Fuji, my first impulse would be to go to the local camera store and check out Sony and Olympus offerings for handling, menu ease etc. (along with other makes). I will admit I happen to like very much the Olympus top cameras and how they are styled. They suit my way of shooting and handling controls.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Congrats.

The wife got her EM-1 yesterday for her birthday. I pickup mine tomorrow morning. MFT here we come.........;)

Devotog

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
London
Congrats

@jinyoungkim7

You can't really go wrong with either camera, I've used both, reviewed the E-M10 last month and am currently reviewing the A6000 (hence why I'm reading forums posts on it - to see what people want to know).

They're both outstanding cameras. Drawbacks for me with the E-M10 were the weight of it, bruised my leg when kept in my jacket pocket for too long, and the selection button was a little sticky. Other than that I liked it a lot.

The A6000 is also very well made and despite the lack of a metal body feels very solid indeed. Changing settings is a breeze and the sharpness of the images, even with the kit lens is superb. The autofocussing speed would lean me towards the A6000 though, it's rapid, with barely noticeable shutter lag.

Also, it can manage 11frames per second for about 21 frames (whilst shooting RAW+JPEG) or 40+ frames of just fine jpeg.

For the price, A6000 is the best value for money mirrorless camera of 2014 so far.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I now have my E-M1 with 12-40mm f2.8. Brilliant kit. For us the migration objective was not moving to mirror less. The objective was smaller and lighter. Moving from DSLRs to mirror less DSLRs was not much of an improvement. But moving to M43 checks both the mirror less box and the smaller/lighter box. Then there is the large list of available M43 lenses available from several companies plus the 43 lenses available via an adapter.

I have already taken all my Canon gear to the camera store consignment sale table. That includes my treasured 5D3 with 24-105mm. The wife will do likewise in the next month. So far, no regrets. We are committed to M43. :D

jinyoungkim7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Maryland, USA
@jinyoungkim7

You can't really go wrong with either camera, I've used both, reviewed the E-M10 last month and am currently reviewing the A6000 (hence why I'm reading forums posts on it - to see what people want to know).

They're both outstanding cameras. Drawbacks for me with the E-M10 were the weight of it, bruised my leg when kept in my jacket pocket for too long, and the selection button was a little sticky. Other than that I liked it a lot.

The A6000 is also very well made and despite the lack of a metal body feels very solid indeed. Changing settings is a breeze and the sharpness of the images, even with the kit lens is superb. The autofocussing speed would lean me towards the A6000 though, it's rapid, with barely noticeable shutter lag.

Also, it can manage 11frames per second for about 21 frames (whilst shooting RAW+JPEG) or 40+ frames of just fine jpeg.

For the price, A6000 is the best value for money mirrorless camera of 2014 so far.

Hey thanks for your reply!

I have some questions about the A6000:

- Is the A6000 easy to use for someone just getting into photography from a smart phone? For awhile at least I'll probably be using Auto and scene modes but I slowly want to grow into it. I just don't want to be overwhelmed with complexity when I initially start out.

- Will the A6000 with kit lens take better photos than a RX100 Mark II in terms of image quality, sharpness, low light etc etc?

- So is the whole camera plastic? It doesn't feel cheap though?

Thanks a bunch!!

epic-retouching

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2014

- Is the A6000 easy to use for someone just getting into photography from a smart phone? For awhile at least I'll probably be using Auto and scene modes but I slowly want to grow into it. I just don't want to be overwhelmed with complexity when I initially start out.

I would check out youtube for how to use a camera in manual mode. I am self taught using youtube. You don't want to just fall back on auto mode when there is so many free great videos for learning on youtube that you could do in half a day. You would get the same images as your phone if you use auto pretty much. There is not too much complexity honestly.

The RX100 MarkII is full frame so you will get better bokeh with it compared to the A6000. Low light the RX100 is great but I can't speak for A6000.

If you think you are going to get more lenses in the future your choice is already made. In the end image quality is mostly about how you use the camera and the post processing. People have been taking amazing photos since before we were born.

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
I would check out youtube for how to use a camera in manual mode. I am self taught using youtube. You don't want to just fall back on auto mode when there is so many free great videos for learning on youtube that you could do in half a day. You would get the same images as your phone if you use auto pretty much. There is not too much complexity honestly.

The RX100 MarkII is full frame so you will get better bokeh with it compared to the A6000. Low light the RX100 is great but I can't speak for A6000.

If you think you are going to get more lenses in the future your choice is already made. In the end image quality is mostly about how you use the camera and the post processing. People have been taking amazing photos since before we were born.

The RX-1 is full frame, the RX-100 has a 1" sensor. Still a great camera though.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If using iPhoto or Aperture, check which bodies have their raw files supported. E-M1 and E-M5 are supported. But E-M10 is not yet supported.

Also check with Adobe if doing Lightroom or other Adobe products.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
One of our photo clubs has a shoot Sunday morning. Out of the dozen or so shooters: 3 had E-M1, 1 had an older OMD, and 1 had a GX-7.

As Bob Dylan would say...."The Times They Are A-changin'".

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I love my OMD, its a great camera, I'm constantly amazed and the performance and quality

Copy that. The wife and I both now have E-M1. Great camera. And very important for the wife...smaller and lighter. Can't wait for the rest of the Pro lenses to be released.

Now we can also have a much lighter ballhead and legs. Yesterday I put my Gitzo GT-3531S tripod and RRS BH-55 ballhead on ebay. The ballhead already sold plus one of the L plates. No turning back now. ;)

Devotog

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2014
London

- Will the A6000 with kit lens take better photos than a RX100 Mark II in terms of image quality, sharpness, low light etc etc?

- So is the whole camera plastic? It doesn't feel cheap though?

Thanks a bunch!!

Q1. To be honest, at first glance, it can be a bit intimidating, but there's a great help/support mode on custom 2 button by default that gives guidance for achieving certain effects and getting shots in specific lighting conditions.

Q2. The a6000 kit lens is fantastic and will take better images than the RX100 II, thanks to glass quality and camera's processor.

Q3. The body is plastic, but it feels very tough indeed, almost metal-like in texture and feel. Only giveaway is the fact that it isn't as cold as metal would be. Doesn't feel cheap in the slightest

artfun

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I have d90 which I am currently selling.
And I am also looking at those two cameras.

The only thing that is stopping me to get a6000 is the lens choice. Yes there are enough of them for all possible situations, but I still cannot find descent midrange all-purpose good iq affordable zoom for e mount.

I have Sigma 17-50 f2.8 for Nikon. Is there something similar for e mount?

Thank you.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I had lens stabilization in 35mm lenses for years. Now I greatly prefer the 5 axis stabilization in my Oly E-M1. I now pay for stabilization once and get consistent behavior from lens to lens. I can select which axis I want on depending if I am on a tripod or handholding during a pan.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
And BTW RAW for the Oly E-M10 is supported in Adobe products (and others; I think only Apple is lacking now).

I do think that the Olympus interface could use some work, as can their documentation. But there are lots of resources to learn, and I'm sure that's true with Sony or others as well.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
And BTW RAW for the Oly E-M10 is supported in Adobe products (and others; I think only Apple is lacking now).

I do think that the Olympus interface could use some work, as can their documentation. But there are lots of resources to learn, and I'm sure that's true with Sony or others as well.

OS 10 has E-M1 and E-M5 support for Aperture and iPhoto. E-m10 support is still MIA. Hopefully it will be in Yosemite.

https://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I have d90 which I am currently selling.
And I am also looking at those two cameras.

The only thing that is stopping me to get a6000 is the lens choice. Yes there are enough of them for all possible situations, but I still cannot find descent midrange all-purpose good iq affordable zoom for e mount.

I have Sigma 17-50 f2.8 for Nikon. Is there something similar for e mount?

Thank you.

There isn't one. I have the 16-50 E-mount power zoom, and I wouldn't recommend it.

I've thought about switching to Micro 4/3 and Fuji's system, but haven't done it yet. Micro 4/3 is a step down in sensor size, and Fuji's lenses are quite expensive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have OMD EM5 camera, I can highly recommend the OMD series camera - its a great small, light camera that takes great pictures.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I've thought about switching to Micro 4/3 and Fuji's system, but haven't done it yet. Micro 4/3 is a step down in sensor size, and Fuji's lenses are quite expensive.

Without trying to start a war of opinions on the benefits of a particular sensor size, what are your hesitations on moving to a smaller m43 sensor?

Alex

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I think the pixel density of 16MB in a small sensor format can lead to some nice shots. This is with E-M1 using a Panasonic 100-300mm lens shot in Aperture priority, 228mm, f16, ISO1600. Not bad for my first wildlife shoot with that combo. Click on the image for a larger view of it.

Attachments

• _6210536.jpg
    _6210536.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 887
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.