Olympus OM lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Harmush, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Hey, my dad has given me a whole bunch of old olympus Om lenses. is there any slr out there that will take this type of mount still, or are these lenses only good for a film slr?

thanks

2. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

A brief look at wikipedia shows that there are currently no cameras that use the OM mount, although you can get adapters to make them easily fit other camera bodies (although, you'll get manual focus).

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

There is an adapter from Olympus that allows the OM lenses to be used on the new E-P1 m4/3 camera.

4. yaroldb macrumors 6502

They make a fourthirds adapter for all Olympus DSLR, and Panasonic for that matter. Auto aperture and auto focus will not work. You have to do it by hand. The non pro version Olympus have a smaller view finder making it more difficult to focus. Not impossible, just difficult. With the newer version you can use live view and the spot focus feature. There are some awesome OM lens out there but they are really made for SLR's (large sensor). The fourthirds sensor is smaller. It's fun to play with and dirt cheap if you already own an Olympus DSLR. The adapter can be found on Ebay for about $35. Let me know if you have no need for the OM lens, I'll take them off your hands....

5. toxic macrumors 68000

in addition to (micro) 4/3, Canon EOS and Pentax K will take OM lenses with an inexpensive adapter. dunno about Sony. Nikon won't.

6. NightGeometry macrumors regular

You could pick up an OM SLR. Get a 'non-n' model, I like the OM-4 myself (and mine is very poorly at the moment). Some say the OM1 is about the nest manual SLR made, nit sure I completely agree, but they are very nice cameras.

You can pick them up cheap off ebay too.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Nikon, Sony, and Pentax bodies are too thick to use a simple adapter. Those adapters have corrective optics which sort of defeats the purpose of using older glass.

Canon and Olympus adapters are just a ring. Though, if you want to use Canon FD lenses, you need corrective optics on that.

I use Fotodiox Adapters - they're great.

OM lenses are going for cheap - but people are figuring out how nice those lenses are and prices have started increasing on them.

My Olympus glass is all newer digital.... ;)

8. toxic macrumors 68000

the flange distance for K-mount is less than OM by 0.5mm, so it doesn't need corrective optics.

9. LangdonHill macrumors newbie

OM Lens & 4/3rds.

I swear by my OM4 TI- I then use a Nikon 5000 Cool Scan. I love the results. There are several shops that still service the OMs. I tried my lenses on a digital Olympus but still like the results of film. Get a reference first for service on any OM body you get. The top model is the OM4 T or TI. Very light and reliable. Stay away from the OM 10. Also you will need to modify other models like the OM1 as the battery is no longer available. Good luck with your OMs. There are some very good OM forums. Langdon

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I use OM lenses with my Olympus dslr bodies. As was mentioned earlier, only the E-3, E-30, and the new E-5 have a viewfinder large and bright enough to effectively use manual focus. But the results are sweet for many uses. Truly though newer made for digital Olympus lenses are so beautiful that I would use the OMs only where primes are missing in the newer line-up. And they're not going nearly as cheap as they were before the E-3 came out with that huge optical v/f a couple years ago...

11. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

My Dad uses his old OM lenses on his Olympus Pen. Great lenses, and always have been. The old OM cameras were exceptional as well (OM4, 4Ti, 2SP to name the few I've used and loved).

PS The OM lenses are only manual focus lenses, so for a modern camera to loose auto focus capability with them fitted isn't really an issue ;)