omfg how do you install VST's HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattmertz77, Oct 3, 2013.

1. mattmertz77 macrumors member

Ok so for some the reason the only thing on earth that I can't easily install are VST's (virtual instruments). For those that don't know what these are, they need a host to run such as garageband. I installed the demo of Camel Audio's alchemy my mac is up to date brand new and I download it and it downloads alchemyplayerwithmac.PKG I open this follow the installation steps and it tells me that the installation was successful. THEN THERE IS NOTHING ON MY MAC ABOUT IT. The only thing with the name camel audio or alchemy is the installer.PKG again so there is just a cycle of installing WTF HELP.

2. ggoerl macrumors regular

that's most likely because it is what you said it was a VST and not a standalone vst. So you will have to launch it through your DAW of choice or garageband. You can check the location of where it installed under library/audio/plug-ins

3. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I worded it wrong. I was trying to say that I know you have to use a host and can't open it without one thats not the problem. My DAW's can't find it and neither can I.

----------

Nevermind Garageband did find it. I still can't find it in my files, do you know how to get to the components folder on the newest version of OSX?

4. ggoerl macrumors regular

it should be under library/audio/plug-ins or user/library/audio/plug-ins
    inside of there will be the VST and component folders.

I assume you're on Mountain Lion then? It should still be found under the same location.

5. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I am this what my finder looks like and I'm not used to it. The only time I am able to see library is if a website asks me to upload a file then its there?

Attached Files:

6. ggoerl macrumors regular

Is bootcamp the only system drive you have? is that where your mountain lion is installed? it will be on that drive then from there goto the path I stated before.

7. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

So do I have to be in windows to do that? How exactly do I setup the file path for FL studio to search properly?

8. ggoerl, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

ggoerl macrumors regular

Let me reword this for you. Where is your system drive? Is your bootcamp disk THE ONLY hard drive in your computer? Goto your system drive that you're running mountain lion from.

which from looking at the picture your bootcamp disk is your only disk.

I would suggest clicking on that and going to the location I've mentioned.

9. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

When I installed the VST I had the option to install to the Mac HD which I think is the other hard drive. The guy that partitioned bootcamp for me gave it 250GB and left 750GB. this is what it looks like when I open the bootcamp drive

Attached Files:

10. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so I figured out how to open a VST in FL Studio on Mac but when I try it does this. I remember downloading a program called wine bottler before but I didn't understand it and this is called wine explorer but I dont know what to do?

Attached Files:

11. mattmertz77 thread starter macrumors member

I got it nevermind. Thanks for the help though :)