omfg, this is getting me mad.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by htownrockets, Jul 1, 2008.

1. htownrockets macrumors member

I just bought a Time Capsule and for an hour already, I've been trying to set the damn thing up.

The first thing was used a Ethernet Cord and hooked it up to "o" port on the Time Capsule. I then installed the CD, then into Airport Utilities and did all the stuff (naming, passwords, etc..) and now I'm getting to a screen that says "Discovering Apple Wireless Devices" and it desn't find anything..

what's wrong?

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Did you make sure to plug the ethernet cord in the Internet WAN port and not one of the ethernet hub ports after configuring the Time Capsule and that you have a green light on it? Also, did you make sure to give access to computers that will be connecting to the Time Capsule through the Airport Utility?

3. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

I just restarted, but it still doesn't work. I can't seem to find a way to just make the TC be a wireless internet base..

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Try doing a hard reset. You will need to press the reset button in the back of the TC but hold down on it for 5-10 seconds or until the light on the TC begins to blink rapidly. This will erase settings allowing you to start fresh.

5. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

This is what I got from the Time Capsule manual online on having the Time Capsule join an existing wireless network... not sure if this is what you were wanting exactly but here it goes anyway...

1. Open AirPort Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities/ on a computer using Mac OS X, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows), select your Time Capsule, and then click Continue.
    2. Follow the onscreen instructions to join your current wireless network.
    3. After your Time Capsule is set up, you can use Mac OS X Leopard to set up Time Machine to back up the Mac OS X Leopard computers on your network. See “Using Time Machine with Your Time Capsule” on page 27 for more information. If you’re using an earlier version of Mac OS X, or if you’re using Windows, you can connect to Time Capsule to share or back up files.

6. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it doesn't work..

Called Apple and the guy said to return it..

7. ttrtilley macrumors newbie

discovering apple wireless

Returning it may not help.
    This is a common problem that I get from time to time.
    I used to think every program except Airport Utility could find my Airport Express. Now I notice that iTunes/Airtunes can't see it either.
    Just setting my Location to Automatic temporarily fixes both problems.
    I can then set the Location back to what it was and things keep working for about a minute. I can only use my ethernet port for Internet connection, and airport for Airtunes for a short time.

8. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

LOL, I think he is past the return policy by now. =]

9. Devil6 macrumors newbie

i had the exact same problem but i worked it out

10. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Gonna share the solution? ;) :D

11. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I thought only airport extreme stations could wirelessly use TCs and printers, etc? It never worked with my Airport express (printer).