OMG - 3.0 update on 2G unlocked it via iTunes!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doug.hall, Jun 23, 2009.

1. doug.hall macrumors regular

Just started the process of updating my iphone 2G to version 3.0. My plan was to use the iPhone Dev team solution however when I updated the phone via iTunes I noticed that the phone showed the Vodafone network with no issues reported (on previous updates it does not connect to the network) so I thought I'd try a call before I jailbreak'd the handset and then unlocked it. Guess what.... it worked!!! :eek: Am I just lucky or has Apple given everyone a present once the handsets are out of contract and unlocked them for us?:D

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Your iPhone remained unlocked because 3.0 did not include a baseband update for the 2G. Apple stopped including baseband on the 2G on the 2.0.1 firmware, that is why a 2G unlock is out very soon after the firmware update. The 2G is permanently unlockable.

3. FuriousD macrumors member

So i am running 2.2.1 unlocked and jailbroken with Pwnage and using Vodafone. If i upgrade to 3.0 via iTunes my voda sim will work?

D

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Yes. If not right after updating, you can jailbreak and unlock with Redsn0w/PwnageTool.

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

6. markoibook macrumors regular

Same happened to me - also on Vodafone UK. That said though Push notifications, Youtube and location detection are not working for me.
    I tried then to use redsnow but i've still got the problem. Apparently a fix is being worked on but wondered if you've had the same problem?