Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Um, they did a GS3 mini too. I think HTC is making a smaller version of the One with the M4, too. But holy ****, it gives people a choice!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This is ironic. People bash Apple for not offering a larger iPhone, citing that Samsung (among others) make larger phones. But Samsung apparently saw the market for smaller phones. Unless the world got fatter (or just the US) and have bigger pants pockets, 5" smartphones are going to be too big to fit into your pockets. Now if we had purses/man purses...

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
This is ironic. People bash Apple for not offering a larger iPhone, citing that Samsung (among others) make larger phones. But Samsung apparently saw the market for smaller phones. Unless the world got fatter (or just the US) and have bigger pants pockets, 5" smartphones are going to be too big to fit into your pockets. Now if we had purses/man purses...

It is more about giving people CHOICES.

I know a lot of the manufactures started getting flack for going bigger and bigger and taking away some of the smaller choices.

Phones for the most part have seem to stabilized in terms of size. They really have not gotten change that much in size in about a year.
For example in terms of size the GS4 is a hair smaller than the GS3. Samsung just figured out how to put a larger screen in there while not changing the size of the phone. Heck it is pretty close to the same size as the GS2.

Apple still has a lot of wasted space on their phones just to look pretty.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Unless the world got fatter (or just the US) and have bigger pants pockets, 5" smartphones are going to be too big to fit into your pockets. Now if we had purses/man purses...

Nonsense. Unless you wear hipster pants, my XPERIA Z/S4/Note 2 have fit in my pants fine.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Unless the world got fatter (or just the US) and have bigger pants pockets, 5" smartphones are going to be too big to fit into your pockets. Now if we had purses/man purses...

5" Smartphones are not too big to fit in pockets, unless of course you are wearing childrens skinny jeans. Heck even my Nexus 7 tablet fits pretty snugly in my jeans pocket, (pretty much the exact dimensions of my pocket.

If you can't fit the S4 in your pocket, your pocket must pretty much be the exact dimensions of an iPhone 5, because honestly they aren't much different from each other.

galaxy-s4-vs-iphone-5-640x353.jpg

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
What an iNonsense.

Really? You sure this isn't an iOS vs Android debate? I specificallybought the Nexus 4 because it doesn't have an oversized and overkill 5" screen (this is MY opinion). And like many other people I know who love Android, they also have expressed their opinion that 5" is big (for them). Just because it's nonsense for you doesn't make it nonsense for others. It's a legitimate concern for many people that some smartphones are too big (for them).

----------

5" Smartphones are not too big to fit in pockets, unless of course you are wearing childrens skinny jeans. Heck even my Nexus 7 tablet fits pretty snugly in my jeans pocket, (pretty much the exact dimensions of my pocket.

If you can't fit the S4 in your pocket, your pocket must pretty much be the exact dimensions of an iPhone 5, because honestly they aren't much different from each other.

You can justify (and fail) all you want. There are people (who aren't trolls) who think 5" (and 4.8 and 4.7 and so on) are too big to fit in their pants pockets. A big majority of them are women. Fully grown, adult women who don't shop juniors. Seriously reconsider differentiating the world between childrens skinny jeans and what you wear. There are many things in between.

Let's do some elementary-level math. A part of schooling you all seem to have missed, forgotten or slept through.

iPhone 5 volume = 123.8mm x 58.6mm x 7.6mm = 55135.568 mm^3
Samsung Galaxy S4 volume = 136.6mm x 69.8mm x 7.9mm = 75323.972 mm^23

75323.972/55135.568 = ~1.3661

Neglecting the curves and nonlinear parts of the volume, the S4 is ~36% larger in volume. That is quite the difference. At least one prominent person seems to agree that smartphones are outgrowing today/yesterday's pants pocket sizes.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/25/smartphones-have-outgrown-average-pants-pocket/

So while you don't think so, that doesn't make it so for everyone else. You're entitled to your opinion just like me and my opinion.

Let's not forget Samsung announced their Galaxy Mega smartphones which have 5.8" and 6.3" screens...

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
You can justify (and fail) all you want. There are people (who aren't trolls) who think 5" (and 4.8 and 4.7 and so on) are too big to fit in their pants pockets. A big majority of them are women. Fully grown, adult women who don't shop juniors. Seriously reconsider differentiating the world between childrens skinny jeans and what you wear. There are many things in between.

There are things between skinny jeans and close-cut jeans? It fits in my work trousers with ease too, my Dad's Jeans and work trousers, my suit trousers, every set I own. 3 of my friends Jeans and work trousers.

Ironically the only pair of jeans I have seen it struggle to fit into, were my friends skinny jeans, which are like a second skin, he can't even fit his wallet into them, he has to only carry a bank card if he wears them, and even then he struggles to get his hand into his pocket to fish it out.

If the GS4 is too big for your pocket, odds are the iPhone 5 will be too. Unless your pockets are the exact dimensions of an iPhone 5 you'll fit the GS4 in with ease.

You bought a Nexus 4 specifically to avoid the "oversized" screen? There's almost no difference in size in the phones, the S4 has such a tiny bezel.

samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-lg-nexus-4.jpg

S3VsNexus4.jpg

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
There are things between skinny jeans and close-cut jeans? It fits in my work trousers with ease too, my Dad's Jeans and work trousers, my suit trousers, every set I own. 3 of my friends Jeans and work trousers.

Ironically the only pair of jeans I have seen it struggle to fit into, were my friends skinny jeans, which are like a second skin, he can't even fit his wallet into them, he has to only carry a bank card if he wears them, and even then he struggles to get his hand into his pocket to fish it out.

If the GS4 is too big for your pocket, odds are the iPhone 5 will be too. Unless your pockets are the exact dimensions of an iPhone 5 you'll fit the GS4 in with ease.

You bought a Nexus 4 specifically to avoid the "oversized" screen? There's almost no difference in size in the phones, the S4 has such a tiny bezel.

S3VsNexus4.jpg

I'm not wasting anymore time. You have your opinions, I have mine. Let's agree to disagree.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'm not wasting anymore time. You have your opinions, I have mine. Let's agree to disagree.

If you'd said it was your opinion from the start I wouldn't have challenged it, but you came in and stated it like it was fact. I also get that some people dislike large screens, and that's fine.

What you said however, was that 5 inch phones are going to be too big to fit in people's pockets.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

I dont think people are bashing the iphone because its a smaller screen they are bashing it because the screen is to small.

the gs4 mini is 4.3 in and samsung is just hitting every size market with there phones.

they have 4.3,4.7,4.8,5.0 and 5.5 while apple is just at 3.5 and 4.0

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

I walk around with my iPad mini in my jeans pocket. One of the advantages of wearing clothes that fit I guess.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

there's a difference; you can't get premium phone internals in a smaller shell. the s3 mini has a poorer camera, a much less powerful cpu, less ram, and terrible screen resolution. if you want an android phone with flagship specs in a smaller package with a 4-4.5" screen, then you're out of options. you have to go big.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
there's a difference; you can't get premium phone internals in a smaller shell. the s3 mini has a poorer camera, a much less powerful cpu, less ram, and terrible screen resolution. if you want an android phone with flagship specs in a smaller package with a 4-4.5" screen, then you're out of options. you have to go big.

Not everyone wants/cares/gives a crap about flagship specs. A huge chunk of Android device sales are NOT "flagship" models. A huge chunk are mid-end and low-end. Plus, iPhone 5 performance is at least as good as or better than Galaxy S3. This shows you CAN make something smaller or same size with better specs than the predecessor. iPhone 5's physical volume is smaller than iPhone 4/4S, yet performance was greatly improved. I agree you can't get exactly the same specs in a smaller form factor in the same generation. But flagship specs isn't what makes Android so popular.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
This might be interesting if it has the same internals as the GS4. I'm tired of only seeing phones with good internals be in the 4.7"+ range. I would love to see a Snapdragon 600, 2GB RAM, and a 720p display on a 4-4.3" display.

There really isn't that much choice out there in the Android market. If you want an Android smartphone with flagship internals, you are going to have to get a 4.7"+ display.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This might be interesting if it has the same internals as the GS4. I'm tired of only seeing phones with good internals be in the 4.7"+ range. I would love to see a Snapdragon 600, 2GB RAM, and a 720p display on a 4-4.3" display.

There really isn't that much choice out there in the Android market. If you want an Android smartphone with flagship internals, you are going to have to get a 4.7"+ display.

I agree. It's super easy to increase performance and battery life by making the whole thing bigger. Look at Samsung.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I can fit a Nexus 4, 7, and all 7,000 sizes of galaxy devices in my pants - at one time! Not sure what the problem is.....

Attachments

• 4-harem-pants.jpg
    4-harem-pants.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 675

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Really? You sure this isn't an iOS vs Android debate? I specificallybought the Nexus 4 because it doesn't have an oversized and overkill 5" screen (this is MY opinion). And like many other people I know who love Android, they also have expressed their opinion that 5" is big (for them). Just because it's nonsense for you doesn't make it nonsense for others. It's a legitimate concern for many people that some smartphones are too big (for them).

----------

Let's do some elementary-level math. A part of schooling you all seem to have missed, forgotten or slept through.

Neglecting the curves and nonlinear parts of the volume, the S4 is ~36% larger in volume. That is quite the difference. At least one prominent person seems to agree that smartphones are outgrowing today/yesterday's pants pocket sizes.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/04/25/smartphones-have-outgrown-average-pants-pocket/

So while you don't think so, that doesn't make it so for everyone else. You're entitled to your opinion just like me and my opinion.

Let's not forget Samsung announced their Galaxy Mega smartphones which have 5.8" and 6.3" screens...

You dont need maths to see if it fits in a bloody pocket!!!! Just put the damn thing in and see if it fits. My note 2 fits in my pockets fine, it spends all day in my pocket so I cant see anyone having trouble fitting a s4 in their pocket, again, wtf was thrat equation all about?????

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland

This article you linked even quotes

The average pants pocket is 13 inches deep
and then says
The S4 is 5.38 inches from head to toe

The pocket size they're increasing is the tiny "coin pocket". If you're going to insinuate I'm an idiot just for challenging what you're putting across as "fact". I work with Engineering Level Maths in my line of job. Here is how easily the S4 fits into my jeans pocket. The curved white line being where my pocket ends on the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20130529_004222.JPG
    IMG_20130529_004222.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.