OMG cannot drag images from Safari into Photoshop Dock Icon!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Sep 18, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

I can't believe they removed this. You can still drag files into app icons to open then with the file but dragging images from safari into the dock icon is now USELESS!

This is a huge fix that needs to be done. Now I have to drag the file onto my desktop (a multi-shortcut ordeal) then drag that file into photoshop.

2. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

It was always sort of iffy doing this in Leopard, for me.

What's odd is that this works for Preview. Drag an image from a website onto the Preview icon and it opens right up.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah it kinda sucks but it's not ruining my day.

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Photoshop would never open any image by dragging it in, I always had to use the open thing in it

5. Screaminchief macrumors newbie

It still works

Fear not it still works although not as smoothly as it could.

What you need to do first is turn expose on. Then just drag (and hold) the image from Firefox or Safari onto the photoshop Icon in the dock. Hold it there for a second and then all your photoshop windows appear. Keep holding and then drag it onto the photoshop window you're working in but keep holding. It will take another second and then when that window starts to flash let go. Ta'daa image has now been dragged from the site into photoshop.

A word of warning though. It won't work for some silly reason if you're currently on a text layer or if you're dragging into as new document that has a locked background. If anyone has a simpler way please let me know.

Hope this helps!

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

While dragging a file to the dock, while hovering over the application, pressing the COMMAND and OPTION buttons together will highlight the application and attempt to force open the file with that app.

Edit, I wasn't sure about Safari icons, but I just tried this with my avatar and GarageBand. The app highlighted but nothing happened. Maybe PS will act differently. However, another trick is that while dragging an item to the dock (the previous method I mentioned has been the same as long as I can remember, this one I have only learned since Snow Leopard), while hovering over an application, pressing the spacebar will activate the app and bring it to the front, allowing you to then drag it to an existing project or window.

7. ethical macrumors 68000

OMG like WTF I definitely don't want to LOL or LMAO about this!

Just do what Screaminchief said and you'll be fine.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I've used this function for years