Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
In the dark, i walked past my bed, tripped over the powercord and pulled my 15" right to the ground landing on the power plug. It booted back up, a new dent on its side, yet i think !MY LCD is Broken!. ON the Display is in the top left corner my desktop, but all over the rest is funny verticle lines
and a black region
and strange curvey lines and i think i cracked it. I dont think this will be fixed w/ apple care, so i immeditatly hit ebay for powerbook g4 displays and found one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...65260&category=14909&sspagename=rvi:1:3v_home)

I think the price will go up, how much do you think ill be paying to fix it, and is it possible to do it myself, im nto very good with computers, but i can follow directions, and im relatively confident. Do you think apple would fix a problem like this? THanks And emotional -Rich

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Commmon, Some one help, im soo freaked out. Does it sound like the lcd is scratched cause of the random black and colorful areas
that travel with a strick line

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
DickArmAndHarT said:
Commmon, Some one help, im soo freaked out. Does it sound like the lcd is scratched cause of the random black and colorful areas
that travel with a strick line

Try runing a hardware test and see what the results come u..

kilimanjaro

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Its fried...

Hate to tell you buddy... I broke my 15" Ti - not the same way, but with the same symptoms..
Hate to tell you but its true :(
Apple only sells the display in the casing last time I checked.

Best Luck.

Kilimanjaro Conqueror

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
That happened to me before too, I thought i was going to have a heart attack. Aside from some dents and scratches, It operated Normally. But Dents really do eliminate the Beauty of the PB.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Lacero said:
I think it adds character. You know, like laugh lines.
Hahaha, I had heard about your infamous humor... I rather enjoy it. :D Ok, probably because this thread isn't about my PB. To the OP, I don't know enough to help you, but I'll wish you the best of luck. Hope your baby can be saved!

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Heres my plan. Im going to buy a bottom casing from (pbfixit.com) and a used display from ebay. (see link in first post) It should cost me about 350$ (250 for the bottom casing, and im hoping the auction will end around 100$ (tell me if im wayyy off) The the powerbook will be in much better condition, and i plan on getting many more years out of it. Will doing those repairs myself void my applecare warrenty. What if i tell them its the case and screen that it came w/ being they will be no different??

Rich

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
well, you can do it yourself, apple certainly would not do it for free even with applecare, it is on the lines of customer caused damages( i have had this happen with an old dell of mine and the dvd drive broke, but dell tech support is soo stupid that you can easily talk them into fixing it and they replaced it, of course i dropped it on the first day i owned it, so i could say it came like that) if you could fix the dent perfectly you may be able to run it by them that the screen just happened to turn dark and blotty this one day, but dont count on it though, good luck

DickArmAndHarT said:
In the dark, i walked past my bed, tripped over the powercord and pulled my 15" right to the ground landing on the power plug. It booted back up, a new dent on its side, yet i think !MY LCD is Broken!. ON the Display is in the top left corner my desktop, but all over the rest is funny verticle lines
and a black region
and strange curvey lines and i think i cracked it. I dont think this will be fixed w/ apple care, so i immeditatly hit ebay for powerbook g4 displays and found one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...65260&category=14909&sspagename=rvi:1:3v_home)

I think the price will go up, how much do you think ill be paying to fix it, and is it possible to do it myself, im nto very good with computers, but i can follow directions, and im relatively confident. Do you think apple would fix a problem like this? THanks And emotional -Rich

lfielder06

Dec 5, 2004
You might want to check out compusa for those installs. I know they were only going to charge me $30 to do a hard drive install, and after looking on pbfixit.com it was well worth the $30. Just let them know that you are providing the parts and see what kind of quote they give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.