OMG Help, dropped MBP 7 feet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by new2oranges, Mar 31, 2014.

1. new2oranges macrumors newbie

hi guys. im panicking atm. im a uni stuedent and just dropped my mbp 2012 from my bunk bed (roughly 2metres or 7ft).

it made a really loud "bang"!!! sound when it landed on the floor and i was fearing for the worst (shattered glass, wont turn on etc....)

however when i opened the macbook, the screen flickered on normally, no cracks etc..

in terms of physical damage, there weere no dents or scratches at all BUT one of the black feet felll off.:(:(:(

So guys, do you think there is internal damage? How should i check for more damage. take it to a genius???
    I feel like there should be more damage but I cant FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT which is starting to scare me considering it was a 7ft drop:(

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Unless you can hear something rattling when you shake it (powered off, obviously) then you'll just have to accept that it's undamaged.

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If it works, it works. A problem might turn up down the road, but with there being no external damage it doesn't seem too bad.

4. new2oranges thread starter macrumors newbie

ok let me turn it off and shake it a bit.

I've been doing some reading on people dropping there mb and im scared that when im doing assignments, the harddrive might stop or something. apparently this is common. is there a way to test for harddrive damage?:confused:

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Do you have an SSD or a disk drive (if you have a Retina MacBook Pro you have an SSD)?

6. new2oranges thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the fat mbp so i think a disk drive?
    Anyways i've looked over it and everything seems normal. BUT to be safe im going to the genius bar.

thanks guys

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Chances are that it fell far enough to trigger the Sudden Motion Sensor and park the disk heads but to be safe I would backup now and keep to a good backup regime and frequency.

After that then the rattle test will tell you if internal damage has been caused, if the RAM was unseated (or indeed any cables), then you would know by now...