OMG ! I dropped My Unibody Macbook Pro !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rashid Alkaabi, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Rashid Alkaabi macrumors member

Hello,

Today, I dropped my macbook pro accidently from around 3 meters, Thanks God, it was in my bag which have a leather edges which were built upon a solid wooden base and my macbook pro is protected with a Speck See Thru Case. I rush to open the laptop and Thanks God no physical damage, I turn on the laptop and it worked just the way it should. But I'm still wondering whether any internal damage occur? I have run the " QUICK " Apple Hardware test and it showed no errors. Any further step to be taken in order to assure that my laptop is working just the way it should?

Thanks in advance,

Rashid

2. jpma macrumors 6502

I remember reading that macbook pro have a impact sensor to detect your unit have been drop before, if the sensor reading have drop impact.
    The warranty no longer works.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you worry too much.

keep using it...dont worry about it.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have never heard of that before....

5. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

:confused: news to me!

6. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I don't think you have much to worry about. I have dropped the same computer at least twice. However it landed on my carpet. I just picked it up and shake it, I didn't hear any rattling or notice any changes so I assume all is well.

As for the sensors in the Mac pro I did read about apple installing liquid submersion detector sensors in Mac pro, ipods & iphones etc. about 2 months ago. I'm not sure if they work for impact as well.
    :apple:

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

With all that protection is sounds like a tank could have run over your MBP and it would not have been damaged. Nevertheless, if there is no visible damage from the outside your warranty is probably intact. So if something goes wrong later Apple will cover it. Forget about it.

8. Joe-Diver macrumors 6502

Joe-Diver

Press Shift-Control-Option and the power button....wait 5 seconds....it will reset the warranty.

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Wasn't this a patent/idea that Apple has, I don't think it has been implemented.

10. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I think the impact sensor that has been mentioned is probably being confused with the sudden motion sensors that most modern HDDs are equipped with. When the SMS detects motion above a certain threshold, it'll park the drive head to prevent damage to the platters.

Back on topic, I dropped my MBP yesterday onto concrete while it was in an Incase sleeve. It landed on one of the back corners and, after inspection and hardware testing, there's absolutely no damage whatsoever.

11. kousuke18 macrumors regular

If the computer was off at the time it was dropped and it still works than it should be fine. Just let this be a lesson for you to be more careful with a $2000 laptop ;)

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not only has it been implemented but as soon as you turn your computer on and connect to the internet Stevie says all your mistakes are belong to us. Applecare is no good. Accidental damage claimed on everything.:p

13. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

There we go! :D

Awww! I'm glad there's no damage! :)
    You're correct. It was a patent mentioned a while back on the front page. They have definitely not been implemented yet.

Jesus Christ!
    And to think that I live less than 10 blocks away from Steve is a problem. Hell, I bought my AppleCare from him!
    (The Steve part is actually true :p)

14. thecheda macrumors 6502

My MBP

My MBP has seen way worse, and it is holding up just fine. If it boots, and the lcd is fine, you're good to go.

15. MLupi macrumors newbie

Yes, definitely, shake it around... if no loose parts or rattling, and everything is working, consider yourself lucky!

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Either you're thinking of the patent mentioned above, that Apple is yet to implement at all, or you're confusing yourself with the sudden motion sensor, which parks the head of the hard drive when it senses any sudden movement as to avoid damage (but only when the computer is turned on).

17. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

LOL.. :D

18. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

I remember seeing a Macbook Air on the forums here that went through a place crash and booted up fine with a external monitor. lol

19. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Incorrect. There was a recent patent that Apple filed for such a sensor, but it has not actually been implemented into the design of the computer.

And how did you drop it from almost 10 feet?!

20. goMac macrumors 603

Impact sensors for voiding warranties do exist (at my old employer we used to stick them in laptops we'd loan out to kids so we could tell if the kids drop them.) They're just little capsules that break on impact.

I'm pretty sure Apple does not use them however, but they do use water damage indicators.