OMG I love leopard dillema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by farqueue, Mar 12, 2008.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Wow.. leopard is just fantastic.

Now i'm kinda faced in a dillema. I am looking for a new laptop which can fuel my gaming needs (my 1st gen macbook is not good enough to play CS Source)

So, I am looking at Dell XPS M1330 but i dont want to use vista. I won't be able to purchase a Macbook Pro because i dont have enough money... :confused:

Sigh.. What shall i do?

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

just get the xps, if gaming is important to you. Leopard is good, but vista ain't as bad as people make it out to be.

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Just get an xbox. You should just let your computer be the best computer it can be, and let another machine handle your games.

At this point in video game evolution and game console evolution, expecting your computer to be a gaming machine is starting to seem like expecting your computer to be your space heater. Yeah, it can do it, but if you want it to be a really good space heater then you're gonna have to sacrifice its ability to be a the best computer it could be and / or you're gonna have to spend a lot more money to get it to do both well. You'd be better off getting the computer that best suits your computing needs and then getting a great space heater.

These days, it's the same with computers and games.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

word. to hell with graphic cards which become obsolete after a year, frame rate issues, heating issues. Plus, other than FPS's, you willl struggle in finding some decent games that have made their way over from the 360/ps3

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I work in an office where almost every person has a gaming machine (cept for me). The initial machines that they built themselves are no less then $6000. They each put in about $800 - $1200 in upgrades A MONTH! Gaming PCs are too expensive for the few good games that are out there. Honestly the better games come out on consoles cause thats where a lot of the big name game development studios put their money.

You usually only find FPS and RTS on a computer.

7. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

$6k??? You gotta be kidding me :\

You can build a VERY good gaming machine for no more than $1k!!

-Rich-

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

No... it's far, far worse.

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Buy a game console and use computers to compute. Productivity is NOT a "way-out" concept.
    Never in the history of the world has so much been spent to do so little... in giant computers to run a first-person shooter or WOW-like crap. How dumb has America gotten?

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Gotta love FUD. Vista is a fine OS. It has it's quirks, as do all new OS's. People easily forget OSX's issues but they can never seem to get over any little problems windows has.

At least on Vista on my Macbook my wireless connection never drops. On tiger and leopard it keeps dropping. Damned vista! How dare it do things right.

11. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

my plans to build another gaming PC are on indefinite hold until a killer PC game is released. I thought Crysis would be it, but not worth it for just that. Consoles are where it's at IMO.

12. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Check out the Apple Refurbs store. There are a load of mbp on refurb right now for 40% off.

But i also echo the console comments. Getting your laptop hot playing games is just going to wear it out faster. And its only going to play this generation FPS games and possibly the next. Heck, some of this generation FPS (Crysis) have unacceptably low framerates on laptops. They just aren't designed for that kind of graphics load. High end FPS coming out next Christmas more than likely won't play like you want it to on your laptop. But they will be guaranteed to play on your console (if its released for your console of choice. Consoles are cheaper in the long run... and in the short run as well.

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've never found a thread where I've agreed with so many people so completely. There is nothing left to say!

Okay, I'll say something: get a console. You'll never have compatibility issues, driver issues, video card issues, upgrade issues, downgrade issues, etc. It'll be cheaper than an equivalent quality PC rig, while remaining viable as a gaming system capable of playing the latest games for several times longer than the average graphics card + computer system. It will be easier to set up--you turn it on, and you start to play. No keyboards, mice, installations, reboots, patches, serial numbers, etc. It will be more social--take the console wherever you go and plug it in; try doing that with a desktop. It will be more versatile; there's nothing like hooking an Xbox360 to a projector and playing COD4 on the ceiling.

Get a console. It's just more fun, less complex, less expensive, and longer lasting.

14. tringo macrumors regular

15. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I have the newer SR macbook, and it runs CSS just fine. And trust me, I play CSS ALOT.

I honestly don't understand why people think the Macbook is so underpowered in the GPU area. I know Integrated cards blow balls, but they do run a few games. I'm a pretty big gamer and they run the games that I play just fine, you just gotta tweak them a bit, and not expect a billion FPS. I've played Portal, HL2, TF2, CSS, WoW and half a dozen source mods, and they all run at atleast 30 fps. (Keep in mind, XP is way better for running these games.)

So if you still love your Macbook, upgrade to the newer one, you can't go wrong. The refurb store has some fantastic deals.

Or just buy an iMac :p

16. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

StarCraft II!

But, yes, other than that, I tend to agree, consoles (and handhelds) are where it's at.