Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Ok so I am minding my own business doing homework and then my LCD on my iBook..... like 1/3 of the screen the contrast goes really high......... and then video works........ then video freezes........ and so I restart and now 1/3 of my screen is black/grey with lines on it. WTF? Omg........ so I go to the log in window... log in and I'm in the finder yet it still shows the login window with the progress bar loading. I will take a picture when my battery for my camera charges. Hard Drive status is verified. Anyone know what it the problem could be? I'm using my external display right now and everything is fine. Is it the logic board? Ugh...... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................... Oh and I should say that when I restart you can tell where on the screen the screen goes black...... like you can see it kind of white then after a while it fades. Is it the LCD? Omg help

The white square actually shows the login window with the bar loading. wouldn't show up on the webcam picture. it won't recognize my canon digital camera so i couldn't use it. iphoto will load when i plug it in but doesn't give an option to import or see it. and the top menu bar looks fine too. everything except for that grey bar at the bottom (which looks blue in the picture)

Ok so I can use my computer fully functional when its mirrored on my other display. The login menu still shows up but the colour bars disappeared. the bars are now more different coloured blue/teal/purple/grey bars...... even some pink.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 70

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
O Rly?!

Update:

So it is fine when using an external display or is it isolated to the iBook's screen?

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
If it's bad help you need I can oblige; try licking it.

EDIT: OK your post is up now.

Sounds like the logic board is screwed, very similar to the problem I had on my G3 iBook. Sorry.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Could you be a little more clear on what your talking about? I read your whole post twice and I still don't get what your talking about.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I'm trying to get a picture but my camera won't show up in iPhoto......... UGH. Anyways, no my laptop is nowhere near a magnet.

ghall said:
Could you be a little more clear on what your talking about? I read your whole post twice and I still don't get what your talking about.

Trust me it looks really confusing too.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
It's probably the logic board, like mpw said...

Just one question: When you open the lid on the iBook, do you often "bend it" open with one hand (preferably the left) and do you then hold about half way or two-thirds down on the side of the screen?

If so you may have damaged the contact to the screen, and - if your Mac no longer are covered by any recalls, warranties or Apple Care - this might be cheaper to replace than the whole logic board...

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
It's probably the logic board, like mpw said...

Just one question: When you open the lid on the iBook, do you often "bend it" open with one hand (preferably the left) and do you then hold about half way or two-thirds down on the side of the screen?

If so you may have damaged the contact to the screen, and - if your Mac no longer are covered by any recalls, warranties or Apple Care - this might be cheaper to replace than the whole logic board...

No, I haven't moved my computer for a few weeks now. Not even the screen. I don't understand. I don't carry it like that either. Would a logic board be worth it to replace a 2.5 almost 3 year old ibook? or should i just get a new one? :D (yay new stuff) / :( (money)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.