omg, i wish this existed!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Dec 17, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

ok, so i was reading the forums, and also kind of trying to watch a video at the same time, and i also had a finder window open and azureus. i'm on a 15" mbp, so not much screen room. i really wanted to watch the video AND read the forums at the same time, as well as keep an eye on one of my torrents. so i just instinctively hit expose. ok, cool, i can see the video, and the other windows, but none of the windows are functional and they are blurry so i can't read anything.

wouldn't it just TOTALLY KICK %@$^ if there was a function that just spread the windows out on the screen with the best possible use of space for you so you dont have to drag and resize them yourself???? that would be freaking incredible.

APPLE: do this now!!!

(oh yeah, and if this exists, PLEASE tell me about it, it would make my day)

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Well you could have the video in the foreground and do one of two things.

With a Mighty Mouse you can use the scroll wheel, and even if the window is in back you can still scroll it. That way the video can over-lay part of the browser but you can still scroll and read.

Or with a regular mouse/trackpad you can hold down the command key and move, scroll or pretty much to anything to a background window.

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

So do I :)

I've often thought about how cool it would be if there was a program that resized windows to maximize screen efficiency. It probably wouldn't be too hard to pull off. I wonder why nobody has done it yet.

4. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, but i want to scroll while i'm in expose!!! :rolleyes:

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Especially if you could tell it to give precedence to certain apps. I don't want Safari resized, but it can resize Quicktime and others to its hearts content... that sort of thing.

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^yeah, that would be AMAZING!

i am emailing steve jobs right now.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I just use expose.. but something else like this would be very useful.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I think what you're all describing is resolution independence. And the reason nobody has done it yet is because it has proven tremendously difficult to pull off and assure that every app is working properly, despite how easy it may seem with Exposé.

If you play around with Quartz Debug, you can scale everything down to 90% or 80% and it sortof has the same effect. It sure messes a lot of crap up though.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

This is where resolution independence would help out. Unfortunately, when you re-size windows like in expose - they're going to get fuzzy due in part to the LCD. The font/window changes size, and it's no longer @ native - so it starts to blur. (not to mention, I'm sure Apple stuffed in some effect as well)

You could make use of spaces, and use VLC to play the video in desktop mode.

Or buy a 2nd monitor... (or just a larger one)

i:confused:

11. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

isn't there some way to just have it reduce the window size, not zoom the window? like the same effect as dragging the corner, just that it does all the windows at once to make them all fit the screen.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Probably the best advice.

P.S. I hope the OP doesn't have his windows sized to full screen or near full screen. Maximizing is evil!!! :mad::mad::mad:

13. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, not maximized, but 2 squares just don't fit on my 15" widescreen... i kind of have an old CRT, i could dust it off. *cough*

14. poohat1000 macrumors 6502

poohat1000

this idea would rule

could call it tile view or something

15. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Why is "Maximizing" evil ? Doesn't it depend on what your doing, working on..?

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No, it doesn't, but lets not get into that here. There are other recent threads going on about this right now.

17. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Windows already does what your described it will resize windows so that a whole bunch fit in at once.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it isnt. some people just have strong views concerning it as with any topic. i personally dont mind maximizing during certain situations

19. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Yeah, but it resizes the windows, NOT making them smaller physically like Exposé.

20. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

how, pray tell, can you make a virtual "window" on a computer screen physically smaller...?:confused: :rolleyes:

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think what he meant was that windows will resize the windows, not scale them like expose does.

22. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

well, yes :D.

i couldn't resist. word choice is important! :cool:

23. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot