Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marcus72

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
I shocked nobody has mentioned this over here.

I bought a Hauppauge 1950 Tv tuner hooked up to my cable, downloaded Orb live from the app store... and BAM!!! I got tv on my iphone using 3G. :D

Orb live has taken my Iphone 3g to another level !!!!

http://www.orb.com/en/orblive

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
...add dvr functionality and I'm sold.

Can you elaborate on what's involved? Tv tuner on your computer streams the video to your phone? How about cost, is it a difficult setup?

Marcus72

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
@skyblue, I did do a search on orb live, nothing returned back. :confused:

@aerospace, I'm a newbie to this stuff. It was super easy to setup. I did the set up this morning like in 10 minutes, than ran out the door to get oil changed in my car . While I was waiting, I tested it on 3g and it worked. I got a hauppauge 1950 tuner from amazon approx $140. I attached splitter on my cable, one end to my internet modem and other to the turner. attached the USB from tuner to pc. download orb software to PC, set up channels. while I was waiting at the gas station, i downloaded the orb free app to my iphone, and it worked. Watch CNN while I waited. I'm still learning what it all can do, it's got options for webcam, music and data files. hauppauge has a scheduler so maybe it can record, but I'm not sure yet. I'm happy I can watch tv at work now.

Leaira

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
What channels can you get with the iphone?? Does it have a built-in DTV tuner?

Marcus72

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
What channels can you get with the iphone?? Does it have a built-in DTV tuner?

no the iphone doesn't have the tuner. I have tuner connect to my pc, using orb software, it stream it to my iphone. I get all the channels that come with my cable.

Leaira

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
no the iphone doesn't have the tuner. I have tuner connect to my pc, using orb software, it stream it to my iphone. I get all the channels that come with my cable.

Oh, so it only works around your house then? I thought it would be portable to take anywhere.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
It is portable, Orb works over 3G. The reason you might read otherwise is that 1) it started off wifi-only before adding 3G and 2) about a little over a week ago there were some AT&T related connection problems that have since been resolved.

I'm using it as a stopgap until Slingplayer gets released. Unfortunately it's Windows only for live TV at the moment, there's a Mac version in development (can be downloaded from their support forum) that doesn't support the function yet. You also will probably need a usb-irt blaster (another $50) to change channels, the Hauppage won't do it on its own. You also need to keep your computer on when out. It can supposedly record shows to your hard drive, but the one time I tried I didn't end up having enough space on my Windows bootcamp partition.

My experience overall - a PITA to set up but extremely cool when it's finally working. At this point though with just two months left till submission I'd probably advise you to just wait it out and use the money you save for a Slingbox (which will give you DVR access).

The Orb app itself is definitely worth downloading btw, it can play files from video formats NOT supported on the iPhone like .avi.

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Good for you, I have been doing this ever since orb came out. It nice. I basically have 400 channels I can watch on my first gen iPhone anytime I wish.

Enjoy it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.