OMG iPad Crashing!!

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by w00t951, Sep 1, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I had previously jailbroken my iPad and it was running 3.2.1. When scrolling through the Photos app, it will almost always crash and restart when it reaches the bottom. I thought it was related to jailbreaking, so I restored to the newest 3.2.2 firmware. The crashing/rebooting problem is still present. I am certain it is because the device runs out of runtime memory, but I am not certain. Does anyone else experience this? Thanks.

2. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem with We Rule...when I go through my friends it crashes the iPad. It usually gives me a warning though saying the system is low on memory and to reboot.

Just out of curiosity how many photos do you have on there?

3. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

About... 70. Almost all downloaded wallpapers or funny Internet photos. It's a total of 55 MB, nothing big.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My daughter was having that issue from day one almost on her wifi, and then I started having it on my 3G.

I spent the day rearranging photos in iTunes and into albums and it fixed it. Now i can go into an album and make it happen occasionally so I'm assuming one of those pics is corrupted. She was downwloading all sorts of wallpapers from online too.

The genius that plugged her iPad in to see what was crashing was shocked to see photos as the number one problem.

5. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Maybe the photos app has a few memory leak bugs...

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Maybe, but i could consistently get mine to crash scrolling down to the same group of pictures, and even when it was the first thing launched after a reboot it would crash.

I've only had it crash recently when i was trying to use the CCK on a card with 1400 pics on it.

7. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Although I have not been able to test he CCK, I have loaded 300 15 MP photos shot with my DSLR, and this successfully caused the app to lag, but not crash. It seems that the downloaded photos are causing a crash...

8. Red5403 macrumors member

My photo app and iPad were working great until one day I couldn't open the photos app without it crashing. I was finally able to narrow it down to a bad/corrupted picture. I deleted it, rebooted/restarted the iPad and all has been well since then.

Just an idea of one other thing that can cause a suddenly new crash...

9. Red5403 macrumors member

This is exactly what was happening for me. I finally realized that it was one picture that ws corrupted (don't remember why or how, or if it was from iPhoto or it was created on the iPad). Once I deleted the offending pic, no more crashing because of that.

10. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

How did you find the corrupted picture?

11. Red5403 macrumors member

It was a few months back, so I don't exactly remember, but when scrolling through the photos on the iPad, it always crashed as I passed a specific spot. So, I could narrow it down. Then, after syncing, I could use a process of elimination to delete/get rid of a picture and then see if it crashed the app. I don't have that many pictures on my iPad, maybe 100 or so. So for those of you that have 1000s, I'm not sure the best way to do it. I'm sure there's a better way, but that worked for me. It ended up being a picture that one of my kids saved from one of their drawing programs, I think.

Really, it was just a process of elimination that I used and then fixed it.

You could also sync your photos and then have no photos on your iPad, then sync them back a batch at a time, to help you figure out the offending pic. What pics were added about the time the crashes started happening? That might help you figure it out...

12. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

I found them. They were all cropped photos from PS Express.

13. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

I have been thinking the same thing. I have 300 photos on my iPad. The photo app program never crashed the iPad when I had only a handful of photos. I have noticed that this is a common complaint on other forums too so this seems to be a problem that warrants Apple's attention. Removing my photos doesn't seem to be an acceptable solution for an iPad. Anyone hear of a firmware fix coming?

14. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I have well over 1500 photos on my iPad, all taken with either mine or my wifes iPhone, or her digital camera, all synced into folders with iPhoto and experience no crashing. I agree the problem is probably corrupt data from something downloaded. Best bet is to organize your photos which will make it easier to find the problem. I'm sure if you find the corrupt data it will work fine.

15. soh299 macrumors newbie

I had similar problem too. iPad crashes when I go into the photo app. Most of the photo are wallpaper from the internet.

After it crashes, I had to force reset (home button + sleep) a few times before it can boot up again. Wonder what's the problem.