OMG! Is it really this expensive?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryuukumori, May 30, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Okay, so I'm planning on what my new cell phone situation is going to be by June 3rd, since my 2 yr contract for Sprint ends that day.

I have a good deal proposed to me with someone who plans to upgrade their iPhone to 3G, and I will be buying the used iPhone.

That means I have to switch to AT&T (not T Mobile hacking, since I don't really like their service). I researched a bit, and even called a rep about some questions.

If I were to sign up with them, I would be on a family plan of 3 lines, 550 shared minutes. That means a flat out $60 a month. I would be the only user with an iPhone. That means I would want the unlimited data plan for the internet, it's an extra $20.

Now if I went unlimited texting, that's another $20! And that's only for me, not for the family! Why so damn expensive? That's already $100, $40 if which is only on my phone!

This is crazy. When I'm with Sprint, I get unlimited texting with 2 people for $20 a month.

So is there a way to negotiate pricing? I did so with Sprint and got free cases, and got money back from bill mishaps. If I really can't do anything else and have to live with what they offer, I will drop the entire AT&T idea.

I need help. Comments?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

That's the price. If you don't want to pay it, don't sign up for it.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If you're polite (don't go psycho or act like you're entitled to anything), AT&T may be willing to work with you on the price. I've heard of people getting a $20 texting plan for $15 or even $10.

Unfortunately AT&T is not the cheapest service provider.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If you got to justify something in order to afford it you probably shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

5. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeh, I just got done talking to family with the situation.

As far as it goes, I'm not going for AT&T. In fact, I really don't want to think about data plans or anything. All I really need is the texting.

So anyways, if AT&T changes in the future as far as it is now, I'm sold on Sprint. Too bad the iPhone isn't available for all 4 carriers (Including T Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint).

Maybe if Sprint had SIM cards I could unlock it to that. But sadly, they don't.

Any further comments?

6. saxamoophone macrumors regular

The AT&T data plan for iPhones is actually pretty good. The normal Data Plan for a PDA is $40 a month, so it's hard to complain about that.

But for a basic/family plan, I agree, Sprint is probably cheaper.
    Then again, people are FLOCKING to AT&T and FLOCKING AWAY from Sprint (which may very well be MIA by this time next year), so AT&T has no real incentive to lower prices right now.

7. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

So how much do you pay on Sprint for equal services?

8. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

The same price goes for 550 minutes shared, at $60 a month. I have a friend who's dad is a manager of a Sprint store and could possibly lend me an employee discount after my 2 yr ends to prove I have been with them for some time.

As far as texting, it's cheaper. I believe it's around $7.50 per person for unlimited texting, and with 2 people, that's $15. With the luxury taxes, it comes to about $85 a month. But with that bill, I had taken off unlimited texting a year ago, because my brother never used his texting so much. I used it ALL THE TIME. Oh yeah, and this plan is for 3 people.

I wanted to try something new with the data plan internet, but I'm always thinking to myself I wouldn't be using it so much.

Maybe I should stay with Sprint and get texting back, maybe on employee discount, but I doubt it. It'll still be good. I get a free upgrade anyways.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I know Sprint has the $99.00 everything plan... So it sounds like it is about the same..... sort of.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Th I've ats was not the most intelligent thing heard on MR.

I have to justify everything I buy(in which case my budget can afford it)..why would I buy something I don't need?

I justify food, because its very important.

11. joeconvert macrumors 6502

If you look at the fine print, you will see that PDAs and smartphones are disallowed on the sprint everything plans. Bummer, but you really need to be careful on such things.

I have about a $1000 a month sprint plan in addition to my fiancée and I's plan. Sprint generally speaking sucks wind.

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I say hack the iPhone to work on T-Mobile. That's what I plan on doing when I get one. :D

13. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I have news:

the sprint employee plan is basically available to anyone, regardless of loyalty status.

500 min, unlimited texting, unlimited data, early nights/weekends, etc, is $30 a month.

Can't split it into a family plan, though.

I would never have stayed with sprint if it wasn't such a good deal to be on this particular plan.

14. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I have about a $1000 a month sprint plan in addition to my fiancée and I's plan. Sprint generally speaking sucks wind.[/QUOTE]

What ???

15. ReneH0059 macrumors newbie

hey Ryuukumori

i have a shared family plan with AT&T and for $30 a month i get unlimited texting on all lines. Not sure if that would apply also if one of the lines is an iPhones since i havent been able to afford one yet :( , but i dont see why not.

well just wanted to let you know about this option.

16. joeconvert macrumors 6502

What ???[/QUOTE]

Yea, well sometimes little initiatives start building.

My point is there are many on this forum that have no idea what is to funnel large amounts of money into a wireless carrier every month for marginal service. AT&T's plans, while not what I would like them to be, aren't bad for the iPhone. Especially when we look at how much Apple is sucking up of that. Granted they signed up for it, but at least AT&T has a network. I agree AT&T is about on par for with Verizon and Sprint for spending on infrastructure, but the T-Mobile fanboys on this site kill. T-Mobile (aka voicestream) is a joke and is frankly the anomaly in US cell service.

AT&T really isn't screwing anyone, not cheap, but not out of line.

And as a BTW, that Sprint account supports 2 Nextel handsets used for development. 3 Blackberries on a shared plan for business. Another Blackberry on a dedicated plan and 4 air cards.

17. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm on a family plan in which two of the lines are iphone's, and it most definitely applies.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It is expensive but worth it, imo

I am paying more than what I paid previously with Verizon but I am also using my cell-phone 10x more with a phone 20x better

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got a family plan with (3)iPhones & (1)Blackberry with data plans $90, unlimited family text msg $29.99, 1400 minutes $79, rollover minutes = 6,000+ works out to about $249 split four ways = $62.25 :cool:

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I guess I'm lucky that almost everyone I know is on AT&T, so I get free texting and calling with all of them.

21. Neobond macrumors regular

I use T-Mobile's MyFaves family plan, 2 lines $69.99 (9.99 for each adt'l line) for 800 shared minutes. Unlimited calls to 5 people, Nights, Weekends. $20 For Unlimited Family messaging, meaning every line (up to 4) has unlimited text, pics, video, sound messages. And on my line I have $20 Total Internet for my iPhone, both lines use iPhones.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What happens when you call one of your Favs and their phone is on VZ, don't the get charged minutes for all your incoming calls?

23. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the entire plan $30 a month? That sounds too cheap.

I'm thinking $30 per person (maybe 3 or 4 in the plan)?

I'm just so used to spending like $90 a month for just minutes and three phones on a 3-person family plan (luxury tax is a pain in the ass though).

Ideas? I haven't made the decision to stay with Sprint yet, neither an upgrade, as I am still thinking of what to do. The family is only paying month by month now on our ancient phones.

24. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

$30 per month gets you unlimited texting on all family plan lines. It requires a voice plan.

25. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Still, on top of the lowest minutes plan at $70 and texting for $30, with luxury tax, you're looking at over $115 a month! That's insane.