Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
didnt realises data charges were THIS extortionate! :( there goes my chances of getting a MBA anytime soon :(

amount: £1117

:(

lolz
:apple:

Attachments

• omg.jpg
    omg.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,474

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is there no such thing as turning data roaming off or some international plan that allows for unlimited data in the states? I used a large amount of data in the UK a year ago and came back to my standard bill.

Dirtyflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
i was in new york for two weeks. i did turn data roaming off initially but then kept turning it on to use the (amazing) browser. i blame facebook's addictiveness! or maybe O2's painful roaming charges; surely in 2008 it should not cost £6 ($12) per mb!

NurseChris

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
i was in new york for two weeks. i did turn data roaming off initially but then kept turning it on to use the (amazing) browser. i blame facebook's addictiveness! or maybe O2's painful roaming charges; surely in 2008 it should not cost £6 ($12) per mb!

Glad my hotels got free wifi, that reminds me i'm gonna have to look for some free hot spots in NYC.

speaking of which, whats the free wifi availability like? anyone?

Dirtyflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
i didnt think wifi spots were too impressive - guaranteed it outside the apple cube tho :p which you obviously have to visit if youre going to the big apple - theres such and amazing atmosphere there. :apple:

unspecifically i love how there is free wifi at fort lauderdale aiport! and most of the people there had macs which was quite cool hehe

NurseChris

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
i didnt think wifi spots were too impressive - guaranteed it outside the apple cube tho :p which you obviously have to visit if youre going to the big apple - theres such and amazing atmosphere there. :apple:

unspecifically i love how there is free wifi at fort lauderdale aiport! and most of the people there had macs which was quite cool hehe

haha the cube is one of the first things i'm heading to, my poor girlfriend :)

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
didnt realises data charges were THIS extortionate! :( there goes my chances of getting a MBA anytime soon :(

attachment.php

lolz
:apple:

ok i don't know if this will work but ring o2 and claim ignorance and you forgot to switch off data roaming. i have heard many cases where people have been refunded £700/800. Try it..see what happens

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I claimed ignorance when I got back from Australia. They eliminated my $600 bill. This was back in July and we all were actually ignorant.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
oh man that much have been a real fun bill to read anyway i hope you can plead ignorant and get some money shaved off of that bill!:D

tringo

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
I am disgusted that they can legally get away with this. But then again I would prefer to live in a capitalist society than a communist one.

And secondly I really do not have any sympathy for someone who feigns ignorance when traveling. I know how easy it is just to switch my phone off. The world doesn't end.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Call O2 or whoever your carrier is and ask them kindly to remove half the charges... At&t would

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
why do i have this feeling that these cell phone companies are just reaping in the revenue?

905 pounds is not chump change. i think i'd have a heartattack if i had a cell phone for that much. My God...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
About time...

I knew we should start charging people to come here. We'll make a FORTUNE!

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
Glad my hotels got free wifi, that reminds me i'm gonna have to look for some free hot spots in NYC.

speaking of which, whats the free wifi availability like? anyone?

tons... if you're anywhere around columbia university its all over... I also like cosi, a little cafe/bistro type place. ummm... really just about anywhere you go you can find a spot..

oh, and of course, apple store 5th ave...

Dirtyflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
i love new york! hopefully ill get to live there some day

a man can dream can't he? :cool:

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I just got my bill from 02 too. Which covers the period I went to NY for a few days last month. To think I was miffed at my £60 bill! :D
£900 is pretty unreal.. :eek: (Thats about $1700 to you Merkins)

I was sure to keep data roaming set to OFF for 99% of the time though.. But a handful of emails to check, a couple of dozen text messages sent and a couple of incoming calls soon just about doubled the regular bill anyways. So yeah, the charges are steep when you are overseas.

NY is a great place tho, I really like it there :cool:

JadawinUK

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
btw, O2 will lower the price to "only" 3 GBP/MB in July... time for the EU to step in.

I am a German living in the UK. I have an O2 contract. O2 is available in Germany as well. If I go to Germany to visit my familiy, I obviously can't use the umlimited data plan in the UK. There is NO logical explanation why I shouldn't be able to use O2 in for data roaming without paying extra, it's the same company. But of course they need to rip off customers.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I would argue that bill, and refuse to pay it.

On what grounds? Your sense of entitlement to everything for free?

The OP knew that O2 would charge for data roaming, and even had data roaming off initially, but still decided that he/she needed to check facebook. That's important. :rolleyes:

You sign the contract, you pay the price.

That sucks for you Dirtyflame, it really does. You should at least try to speak with an O2 rep about reducing the fee. Maybe you'll find one that is reasonable, and if you're polite enough and beg enough and tell them that this would hold you back from an MBA (an MBA for you means more money for you and potentially more money for O2), they may cut you some slack.

I wish you luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.