OMG. MacBook battery expanding/swelling. What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I just now noticed that my MacBook battery has grown fatter. I dont have any idea how. I use this MB as a desktop most of the times and hardly take it out of the office. Today when I picked it up something felt strange. I turned the MacBook only to find that the battery is atleast 3mm thicker than normal. I m sure it wasnt like this a week ago when I took it to Apple Service Provider to get the DVD drive and the fan replaced.

What is wrong here? How did it swell this much? Is it on its way to explode? I took it out and noticed that it was swelling from the boottom too. Instead of looking like a rectangle or a Cuboid its resembling the oval shape now. But interestingly right now Battery is not at all hot.

I have AppleCare for this MacBook. But AFAIK the battery is not covered under applecare. Is it safe to use it atleast for a couple of days? or should I turn it off right away.

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Take it to an Apple store ASAP.

You might want to take the battery out as well.

3. macme29 macrumors newbie

you should definitely take the battery out. it doesn't sound too safe lol. take it to an apple store quick.

4. adversecamber macrumors regular

Li-Ion batteries can be very dangerous if they become unstable - they're known to explode.

Take it off charge and take it back to Apple ASAP.

5. dethl macrumors regular

Take the battery out and call AppleCare. They'll be more than happy to send you a free replacement battery.

6. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Took the MacBook to the apple service center. Got it replaced without any problems. :)