Omg Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caldavey, Jan 10, 2008.

1. caldavey macrumors member

caldavey

Hey guys, i have a Black MacBook with 2GB RAm and a 2.2Ghz processor. I am the one that has been complaining about Best Buy and how they messed up my RAM and how nobody likes them blah blah... Anyway, ever since B.B. supposedly "fixed" it, It's been acting weird. The first time I turned it on, it did the HMMMMM noise like usual then about 2 seconds later, it repeat the last 1-2 seconds of the HMMMMMMMM noise and then waits and does it again. Remember that the first time I had a problem with this computer, it was BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEEEP and the memory wasn't installed corectly. So I hold down the power button and then turn it back on and it starts up and when i open an application it freezes and tells me I need to restart my computer. This goes on forever and there is no end to it. Tonight, when I come home and I go to turn it on. It repeats this weird thing and now instead of doing anything, it just goes to the Apple logo and the sound thing annd it just has that little circle at the bottom going round and round and round infinitely. It won't turn on AT ALL now so screw B.B., and I can't wait to return that thing to get the new MBP (hopefully there will be a nice new one).
    Basically, my question is, why is it doing this, and how can I fix it. Thanks to all who help.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

either your hard drive is on its way out or isn't installed properly you could make sure it is by removing the battery and L bracket and making see your hdd and RAM are pushed in properly. Also try a PRAM reset afterwards. If those don't help carry out an Apple Hardware Test with your resource disks and depending on results call AppleCare...or return and buy MBP as you've decided

3. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

what is a PRAM restart?

I dont have a screw driver to do the job but can you jsut tell me what a PRAM restart is?

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I takes all of ten minutes to take the three screws out of the ram door and make sure the ram is seated properly. I am sure that is what the porblem is.

You need to reseat your ram chips. The PRAM is not going to do anything.

A ZERO "O" screwdriver is all of $2 at Home Depot. Radio Shack sells a set of multi size screwdrivers for less than $10.

5. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

that was the problem before and best buy fixed them cause the first time they werent in all the way so they went in and did it. Im positive thats not the answer. I would just like to know what the PRAM restart is.

6. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

PRAM restart WILL NOT work, but here you go- hold command+option+p+r when you start up... thru 2 restart bongs.

This is a RAM issue, it's common knowledge to most weathered Mac users that beeps at startup = not properly installed RAM. Maybe Best Buy tried shoving it in too hard and messed up the connections. The restart warning (aka Kernel Panic) is also an indication of RAM issues.

Good luck :).

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

That was why I suggested re-seating his Ram. When I put mine in, it took a bit to seat properly. I closed the Macbook and got the same problems the OP is having. I then re-seated the Ram, and it takes a little to get it in, but once seated correctly I never had the problem again.

Take the 10 minutes and see if the RAM is installed correctly. If not, then back to BB it goes.

8. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Well screw this little thing the PRAM restart didnt work and i dont have a screwdriver that size and Best buy sucks at life and apparently they STILL didnt put in the RAM right after 2 chances... im just pissed off.

well it doesnt beep like beofre or like you said, it just shows the apple logo forever.

9. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

My suggestion is to buy that screwdriver as soon as possible and just fix the RAM problem yourself

Yes, Best Buy should've done it properly for you, but to be honest it's such a simple thing to do, I don't really know why you went to BestBuy in the first place (no, I didn't read your previous thread).

There are literally videos on Youtube showing you how to do this with total lengths of under 5 minutes (and that's including the time needed to unscrew and screw using only one hand, the other holding the camera)

10. Towhead macrumors regular

It's easy, but that RAM has to be pushed in hard. It's pretty obvious when it's in. If you open the bracket, and the RAM sort of looks like it's sticking out it's not in.

As for best buy, you know those guys are idiots, don't you? They skipped college (well, some are IN college), are working for around $10 an hour, have no plans to stay at Best Buy, and go around calling people names.

Bottom line: Don't let them screw up your stuff!

11. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

OK, i got the screwdriver last night and unscrewd everything like you guys said and put the HD and memory back in and it didnt work. i repeated this about 10 times. it still doesnt work. yes, i did it properly. i pressed them both in with a good amount of force and i know theyre in right but all it does is just show the apple logo and the little circle at the bottom and nothign happens. i eve let it do that little thing for like ten minutes and nothing happened. it wont work. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

so do i just put the disc in the slot all the way then turn it on? or what?

12. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

If you're getting the Apple logo and the little circle animation, it may simply just be a case of reinstalling OSX from the recovery discs.

Give it a go :)

13. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Press power, put the disc in and hold down C.

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

15. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

well i did what you said and it insterted and it started to spin then nothing happened. should i hold on to t.he C button longer? i held it for about 20-25 seconds

16. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

17. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

What I normally do is just keep pressing the C button (because if you press and hold, it might not have picked up that you pressed it if you press it too early)

18. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Do i hold the C button for about 5 minutes or do i wait 5 minutes after i hold it?

19. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That'd be silly :D.

Hold it down only until it shows the Apple logo in spinner.

20. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

I did that and it showed the spinner, and then it said that I had to restart my computer in 4 different languages...

Ich spreche deutsch

21. BIK macrumors member

BIK

22. one1 macrumors 65816

I purchased (2) 1gig sticks of Kingston 667 ddr2 sodimm ($108.00 each) from best buy this morning (after they price matched Circuit City @ $38 per stick).

I brought my screwdriver along because I wasn't leaving until I saw the ram work. One thing I noticed was that it was a VERY tight fit putting the ram in. I put it in and removed it 3 times before I was sure it was seated. The old ram slid right out, but the new ram required a very good push with the thumbs to get it in and seated properly on both sides. For a moment I wasn't sure it was going to even go in. Nearly had me scratching my head.

After I was satisfied it was in completely on both sides equally I fire the book up and it has worked flawlessly. Due to the fact that I did this just this morning it is fresh in my mind how hard it is to get the ram to seat in the MacBook.

Hopefully that is your only issue. Good luck!

Everything is in and working properly on old faithful.

Attached Files:

23. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That's a kernel panic, and unfortunately fairy dust can't help you with that one. If you're sure you're using the correct recovery disc, this means you've probably haven't seated the RAM properly yet.

24. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

well i know i have seated it right and ive done it more than 15 times and ive been waiting about 20 minutes on this disc nothing is happenning besides the logo and the disc spinning.

25. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It might be bad RAM then. Take out the new stick and see if it boots.