OMG!!! soda in my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minhoca, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Minhoca macrumors newbie

well....i'm doomed...

I was turning on my macbook pro....it just was making the booting sound when i accedentaly drop a glass of soda in the keyboard....The mac just turned off....I'm turned it around and I waited till i dont see any soda in it...I tried to turn in on but after making the boot sound it just turn it self off....1 hour after I took his battery off and put it over a towel.....with the vent exit poiting down..

Will my macbook pro die? Or there's still a chance that hes ok?

P.S.- My parents are going to kill me.....

2. aforty macrumors 65816

As they should...

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

There's a small chance but you may have killed it by trying to turn it on again but here's what you can do clean the keyboard open it up and get rid of all the soda you can then let it dry for 2 days at least.

4. Zawamura macrumors regular

As you tried to turn it on so soon after you poured the soda into the omputer it has probably fried.

5. ivan1234 macrumors regular

just buy another mbp, your parents don't have to know :D

6. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

...which is one of the many reasons I fly by the rule of "don't eat or drink while using the computer".

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sage advice indeed.

Accidents can and do happen.

8. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Me too, after doing the exact same thing and completely breaking one of my past laptops. I do not allow any liquids of any kind anywhere near now.

As for you laptop, you shouldn't of tried to turn it on again. As you said you spilt liquid on your keyboard first reactions would be to turn it upside down with it open to allow the liquid to come out and not go further inside the actual computer parts and put it somewhere warmish (like linen closet, boiler house etc) and to dry for a few days. If after a few days it's still not working then I guess it'd be broken, or take it in and see what is and if it can be fixed. Good luck.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

This is not directed at the OP, but at everyone who uses computers (which, if you're reading this, includes you):

KEEP ALL BEVERAGES, INCLUDING WATER, AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER COMPONENTS. LIQUID + ELECTRONICS = BAD!

If you must drink something near your computer, do what I do: Drink from a bottle with a resealable cap or lid. Yes, it looks funny to see me unscrewing the cap off my soda bottle, taking a sip, and then putting the cap back on... and I'm sure I waste a lot of time each day doing this.

But despite the fact that I drop a bottle or knock one over every so often, I've never suffered an actual spill.

Not to mention, keeping a lid on your beverages reduces the chances of something getting in them (germs, dust, etc.).

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I drink sodas at my computer but they sit on my keyboard tray while the laptop sits on the upper desk part.

That sucks about your laptop. What kind did you have?

11. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I drink coffee and soda all the time when I'm using my MBP. However, at home I use and external keyboard, mouse and monitor and my MBP is far away from any of it. The odd time when I'm in class I have a coffee and use my MBP but I'm extremely careful around it, I spilled some coke on my first MBP but it just needed a keyboard repair, luckily the keyboard was already broken so Apple replaced it anyway. They've had to send me 3 other MBPs since because of hardware failures not caused by me. It really sucks that this happened to you. You're gonna have to tell your parents eventually. Good Luck!
    :apple:<3

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I do exactly the same thing.

It amazes me that so many folks have their cup of coffee right by their keyboard. Of course I warn them about it. After doing so, all they want is for me to go away. Then after they spill something on the keyboard, they have the gall to looked surprised. Dummies.

13. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Im getting a MacBook soon and I was debating on whether or not to get AppleCare - its confirmed, Im getting it!!

14. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Although your right, you remind me of my ICT teacher! Thats all you ever get out of him...

15. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Well, I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but I think you might as well go ahead and get some jelly because it's probably
    toast1.jpg

16. jdee2wheels macrumors member

I bought a powerbook on craigslist for $40 from a women who spilled a whole can of coke on it.

When I got it it wasn't really working at all, it would turn on for a few seconds and then die. I took the whole thing apart and there was sticky coke residue everywhere. I cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and got to boot from an external drive. The internal hard drive was shot and the keys were sticky, but after replacing the hard drive and keyboard the thing is as good as new. Best $40 I ever spent!

I think you'd be surprised who resilient the logic board is. If it's not working there is a good chance that some of the dried up sticky soda is messing up a connection on the logic board. If you clean everything up, it might just work again.

That being said, macbook pros are a bit of a pain to take apart but you probably have nothing to loose at this point.

17. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Potential spills are one reason I got an iSkin keyboard cover for my Macbook (especially after my sister spilled tea on her laptop keyboard). It's not perfect protection (liquid can theoretically still get under the edge of the cover though mine fits pretty tight on the edges) but I feel that some protection is better than none.

18. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Hot chocolate here. Instantly turned it off, took out the battery. Total cost 2315€.

19. Yell0w macrumors regular

i'm about to get a macbook pro, and was wondering if you guys would recommend this to be used as protection.

20. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

AppleCare would not cover this type of damage anyways.

21. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I really don't want to sound awful...but why do people turn things back on after a spillage occurs?

Surely if it makes sense to turn it off first time because it's wet you must know that it isn't going to dry in 30seconds!

But as mentioned, leave it for a few weeks, in a warm dry area and perhaps then give it a final try.

Sorry dude, just bad luck i guess. Time to start earning some more money to replace it :eek:

22. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

The InvisibleShield won't do much to keep spills from ruining any laptop because the keyboard (the most vulnerable spot for spills) is still exposed.

As far as offering protection for the rest of the computer, I'd imagine that the InvisibleShield would help keep the MB/MBP from getting scratched or dented as easily.

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

Yup. It's bad enough to spill water on a laptop, worse to spill something that leaves nasty sticky residue like coffee or coke. You need to clean it off before doing anything more.

Methinks you've (the OP) damaged it probably beyond repair because you turned it on so fast after the spill. But it's worth a try to clean everything off (i mean at this point, your warranty is moot so you might as well crack it open) and leaving it drying for a week or so. I'd think the best idea now is to go shopping for a new laptop. If the MBP ends up working, you could probably sell it, otherwise...consider it a very expensive mistake.

That being said, I never have any qualms about open drinks near computers :( The only thing that would get wet is the mouse/keyboard or display, and all of those are easily cleanable or replaceable - I don't like trusting other people so basically if I can't cause a mess, there's not much of a chance anyone else using my desktops can either. With my laptop I leave open drinks next to it often, but that's something I'm trying to cut down on for other reasons..

24. letswastetime macrumors regular

i had spilled water on my macbook a little over a month ago and it got mostly just on the screen so it wasnt too bad. i ended up just shutting it off, taking the battery out, and tilting it upside down. i just left it like that for a few days and thankfully almost everything went away.

check out the thread about it, theres pictures and many people posted suggestion that might help:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=408146

i feel for you!! good luck with everything!