Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VvCompHelpvV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Just installed the update, and the quality and load time is very impressive!

The load time is fast, and the video quality is AWESOME!

At least in my location. (southern Cali)

Anyone else having a good 3G experience with the app?

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008

Really? It has already been stated that the video quality will be lower on 3G just like Youtube and Netflix.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Now I just need to find an ABC show I am interested in watching :)

Seriously, this is very cool. It would be nice if they'd remove the youtube resolution limit as well. Though I also understand that restrictions like these are meant to keep towers/local networks from bogging down under heavy use and I agree with that goal.

VvCompHelpvV

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Really? It has already been stated that the video quality will be lower on 3G just like Youtube and Netflix.

Yeah I was totally impressed.

I couldn't even tell I was on 3G.

Netfix isn't so bad, I got pretty good video quality on that app too. The loading times are just sloowww.

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Wow, that quality is really remarkable. Hopefully Netflix can increase their quality now.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area

I didn't get the update. So I deleted the app and downloaded it again. I got the new version. I shut off WiFi and the quality is excellent on 3G here where I am in the Chicago area!

Thanks for the heads-up on this!

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Wow. I really want to see the 3G iPad performance in person. It sounding like its a dream.I have the wifi version

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wow. I really want to see the 3G iPad performance in person. It sounding like its a dream.I have the wifi version

Just got the ABC app, and I was very impressed with quality over 3G. This has been the case since I got it Friday. Everything loads much more quickly and plays more smoothly than I anticipated. There's some artifacting, but it looks pretty outstanding for full screen video being streamed on 3G. I can't imagine WiFi looks much better.

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Me Likey

So its not Hi Def but still a sweet pic.

They also updated it so it does not start out in portrait no matter what the orientation is.:)

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
HD is not a single resolution. It's a catchall term. The iPad is HD. Its resolution is the very first one listed in the HD resolutions on wikipedia, and is the same as the majority of early-generation HDTVs. There are plenty of 50" TVs still in use with the same resolution.

TV manufacturers like to call 1080p "True HD" or "Full HD," but it's just marketing that indicates your TV's resolution will never be the bottleneck in video quality.

MrDeeds

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Now I just need to find an ABC show I am interested in watching :)

Seriously, this is very cool. It would be nice if they'd remove the youtube resolution limit as well. Though I also understand that restrictions like these are meant to keep towers/local networks from bogging down under heavy use and I agree with that goal.

2 solutions for this

1. Jailbreak and get 3G unrestrictor. It allows all video streaming apps to function as though they are on wifi, so no downsampling.

2. If jailbreaking isn't an option then atomic browser is your best friend. You can watch YouTube videos in the browser. Just pick desktop at the bottom of YouTube's homepage and you instantly get wifi quality.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
The quality of the video is AMAZING... OVER 3G! I'm very impressed... I was expecting a much lower quality.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm really impressed with the quality of the ABC app, they did a great job, especially for an app out on launch day. But as others have said, I just don't watch a lot of ABC shows. Would love to have the same for Fox (24), CBS (Survivor), NBC (Chuck, House), and Bravo (Top Chef, Project Runway). An AMC app would also be great.

Still, I'd ultimately want Apple to make an app that plays back everything with a consistent UI, maybe give each network it's own channel (kind of like a mini app) where they could highlight their own shows, and offer a range of subscription options. As nice as some of the apps are, it's still a bit of a mess and a suboptimal user experience to have them all separated and inconsistent.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Very impressed as well! Seems like things just keep getting better and better. And the 3G has only been out for 5 days!:D Now I'm really looking forward to seeing hulu on here.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

HiRez said:
I'm really impressed with the quality of the ABC app, they did a great job, especially for an app out on launch day. But as others have said, I just don't watch a lot of ABC shows. Would love to have the same for Fox (24), CBS (Survivor), NBC (Chuck, House), and Bravo (Top Chef, Project Runway). An AMC app would also be great.

Still, I'd ultimately want Apple to make an app that plays back everything with a consistent UI, maybe give each network it's own channel (kind of like a mini app) where they could highlight their own shows, and offer a range of subscription options. As nice as some of the apps are, it's still a bit of a mess and a suboptimal user experience to have them all separated and inconsistent.

House is Fox, not NBC ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.