OMG! The Smart Cover Doesnt Use Proprietary Magnets! Now what? ;)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by KittyKatta, Mar 22, 2011.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I have both the Smart Cover and Targus VuScape and am deciding which to keep. The one thing the Targus is missing is the Smart Cover Instant-On so I took a fridge magnet, found the trigger and then taped it to the lid. And it works!

[​IMG]

Obviously figuring this out isnt a monumental discovery, but it does make me wonder what cool implementations can come out of the non-proprietary magnets in the iPad 2. Any ideas?

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Proprietary magnets?

3. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Wow, I thought all the magnets in the smart cover were magical apple shaped logos :apple: buried 1.625mm under the lid and only those with the apple fairy dust sprinkled with Jobs dandruff would work to turn the backlight off...

How depressing to learn (sigh)...

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No iMagnets, where positive is the most positive???

5. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Ah that's good to find out, I thought Apple would have developed some sort of new magnet technology or something, perhaps created new poles, to prevent these kind of things from happening. Cool though!

:rolleyes:

6. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

LOL! OK, this actually made me laugh. Thanks!

8. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

You can take the case into your local tailor shop, and ask them to open the stitching and sew in the magnet in place (using double sided tape to hold it in place under the material) and professionally re-stich it closed. I bet they would do this for $10 or less.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, they don't produce a magnetic field; they produce a reality distortion field ;)

10. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Cruel? Maybe... to an extent.

By the way, for the OP, Apple uses normal every day magnets. Same as you'll find on your fridge. Nothing special about them, except that they have Apple awesomeness spewed all over them.

12. apd8 macrumors member

Haha you can use an iPad2 as a cover for another iPad2 too. :cool:

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Instead of "Positive" and "Negative" poles, the Smart Cover magnets have "Insanely Great" and "Things we've learnt from."

14. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

I wonder if the Insane Clown Posse find these smart covers magical....and how they would re-act to Apple branded magnets :)

15. X2468 macrumors regular

Perhaps, but I found them really funny :)

16. blueridge macrumors 6502

blueridge

why not cut a lil slit in the cover and slide that magnet in there..

17. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Regularly I'd just let you order online for pick up but for your convenience I've allowed all customers to line up in front of my house and maybe I'll have it available for the first 3 people. ;)

Seriously though, if I'd keep this case I'd sew the magnets under the material. The magnet skips the whole "Slide to Unlock" step and works as an instant-on just like the smart cover. I expect to see this implemented in all cases soon but I am really curious what other ideas they can put magnets to use for.